Cooper or gunwerks

I don't have a Gunwerks, so no hands-on feedback from me.

I have two Coopers. Both are impeccable for fit and finish and both flat-out shoot. Neither was picky for load development. My kid's kids will hopefully get them some day.

Brandon

I had an opportunity to visit the Gunwerks shop this past fall while on my way in and out for an elk hunt.

The guns that I saw and there were many ready for shipment were all very nice. Finish and attention to detail was excellent.

Each of these rifles had accompanying targets and each were all within their stated accuracy policy. The folks there, Mike, Arron and the staff were very patient with me since I asked a bunch of questions....really nice people.

I would not hesitate to purchase one of their rifles if I was looking for an "out of the box" shooters and had that much extra dough for a complete shooting system.

As mentioned before, Mcwhorter Rifles would be another to look at. I plan on visiting their shop in the next couple of weeks and see what they have to offer.

As far as Cooper rifles, I have never heard or read anything bad about them, but they are a production rifle.

You may want to ask about their test targets that they provide since I read somewhere that they are not proofed at 100 yards.

Are you referring to the Cooper package that is available through BOTW?

Wasn't a BOTW package but it was close (I think). It is the excaliber I believe.

I have a few 5 sendero's I'm considering getting rid of to upgrade. As far as mcwhorter goes I've checked them out too nice rigs. There are man good builders right here too that would surely be fine.

Since posting I'm really torn on caliber and I imagine if I choose something outside the realm of a typical build for either of the above mentioned builders, it will push me towards a forum smith. Which would be fine.

My dilemma is caliber selection at this point. What I do know is I want .284. Shooting 160+, ideally ending with a 180 @ 3050+ I'd really like to be in a 26" tube. Efficiency in case design would really catch my eye. I do need barrel life, I want to shoot quite a bit this summer to get my skill level up to be able to hunt. I like my stw but I'm thoroughly sick of the brass issue, although it's not a deal breaker. I do handload but I am a beginner so a labor intensive wildcat may cause me some issue (but willing to learn). Mythical gun??? Let me try and organize my thoughts

I was leaning towards a 7lrm and if I did go this route it would be from gunwerks
Brass availability is the only downfall IMO

I do have stw brass but like I mentioned before... Thought an out of the box cooper might work nicely here or mcwhorter

I got to thinking about a 7mm/300wby when I found a post from BROZ (and others) spotlighting the 7/300win. Which I think would probably really meet a lot of my criteria. I've never had a custom built so the process is a little nerve wrecking as I don't want to do something wrong. I do have a sendero that I could donate. This would probably be the cheapest route.

In the end the most practical components wise is probably the 7rm but that doesn't really meet my velocity wants although I'd settle for pushing 168's and if I went this way I'd probably use a 7wsm... Maybe a gunwerks or cooper (these are two builders I've always wanted)

So as I sit dreaming and picking through the 70pages of 7/300wm trying to decide. I have always wanted a gunwerks rig but....

Last edited:
Call Brad Stair up in Utah and get him to build you a 7mm STW Tejas...I'm fixing to have one built just as soon as I get another action to build off of. Already got the brass. All I need is a a 700 action and bottom metal.

Wasn't a BOTW package but it was close (I think). It is the excaliber I believe.

I have a few 5 sendero's I'm considering getting rid of to upgrade. As far as mcwhorter goes I've checked them out too nice rigs. There are man good builders right here too that would surely be fine.

Since posting I'm really torn on caliber and I imagine if I choose something outside the realm of a typical build for either of the above mentioned builders, it will push me towards a forum smith. Which would be fine.

My dilemma is caliber selection at this point. What I do know is I want .284. Shooting 160+, ideally ending with a 180 @ 3050+ I'd really like to be in a 26" tube. Efficiency in case design would really catch my eye. I do need barrel life, I want to shoot quite a bit this summer to get my skill level up to be able to hunt. I like my stw but I'm thoroughly sick of the brass issue, although it's not a deal breaker. I do handload but I am a beginner so a labor intensive wildcat may cause me some issue (but willing to learn). Mythical gun??? Let me try and organize my thoughts

I was leaning towards a 7lrm and if I did go this route it would be from gunwerks
Brass availability is the only downfall IMO

I do have stw brass but like I mentioned before... Thought an out of the box cooper might work nicely here or mcwhorter

I got to thinking about a 7mm/300wby when I found a post from BROZ (and others) spotlighting the 7/300win. Which I think would probably really meet a lot of my criteria. I've never had a custom built so the process is a little nerve wrecking as I don't want to do something wrong. I do have a sendero that I could donate. This would probably be the cheapest route.

In the end the most practical components wise is probably the 7rm but that doesn't really meet my velocity wants although I'd settle for pushing 168's and if I went this way I'd probably use a 7wsm... Maybe a gunwerks or cooper (these are two builders I've always wanted)

So as I sit dreaming and picking through the 70pages of 7/300wm trying to decide. I have always wanted a gunwerks rig but....
I'm still waiting on you to name a price for that Sendeor BF 7mm RemMag... :D

Mud-I may build a 7mm practical or 7/300 out of that one.. Maybe not, I've found that those are quite rare, they came out of the custom shop and are pretty tight. Mid 90's production. What'll ya give me for it? I have a sister to it in 300wm, was told they only produced 4 calibers. I missed a 25-06 that was snatched up fast for $1200 and the last a 338 that went quick for the same. Those are the four. It'd be a nice start to a collection for you :D

Greyfox, thanks very much for the info, I'd like a 6.5 but I need more punch as I work out. I just saw an stw from cooper and got my wheels turning. I've honestly never heard a bad thing on the coopers and they hold their value.

The more I read the more I like the sound of the 7practical. Is the only difference the shoulder being pushed out on the practical vs the 7/300? I guess I need to change the title to thread.

I'll have to see what I can come up with... Still haven't gotten income taxes back yet, so waiting to see how that goes, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.