Cooper or gunwerks

Mud-I may build a 7mm practical or 7/300 out of that one.. Maybe not, I've found that those are quite rare, they came out of the custom shop and are pretty tight. Mid 90's production. What'll ya give me for it? I have a sister to it in 300wm, was told they only produced 4 calibers. I missed a 25-06 that was snatched up fast for $1200 and the last a 338 that went quick for the same. Those are the four. It'd be a nice start to a collection for you :D

Greyfox, thanks very much for the info, I'd like a 6.5 but I need more punch as I work out. I just saw an stw from cooper and got my wheels turning. I've honestly never heard a bad thing on the coopers and they hold their value.

The more I read the more I like the sound of the 7practical. Is the only difference the shoulder being pushed out on the practical vs the 7/300? I guess I need to change the title to thread.
7mm RM and .300 WM brass are almost identical, other than about 2-3 grains of powder. The .300 WM holds slightly more. I don't know if I'd go through all the BS just to have a 7-300 WM. I did alot of research on that caliber, as well.

7mm RM and .300 WM brass are almost identical, other than about 2-3 grains of powder. The .300 WM holds slightly more. I don't know if I'd go through all the BS just to have a 7-300 WM. I did alot of research on that caliber, as well.

I don't think the 7rm will push the 180's @ 3100 unless I'm missing something. Are you sure on that? I'll have to pull out some 300 brass, thought there was more size difference.

I don't think the 7rm will push the 180's @ 3100 unless I'm missing something. Are you sure on that? I'll have to pull out some 300 brass, thought there was more size difference.
I can post a pic of a .300 and 7RM when I get home from work in a little bit. Still at the office now. They look VERY close in size, but apparantly the .300 hold just a bit more powder.

I was a little bit off I was simply going by my looking at the 2 cases side by side. With that said, here's the facts...

According to Chuck Hawks, the case capacities are:

7mm RemMag - 83.2 gr.
300 WinMag - 90.4 gr.

So, that means the .300 WM only holds 7.2 more grains than the 7mm RM. Not enough to make me rechamber my rifle...

However, the 7mm STW jumps it on up to 97 gr of case capacity. Now that would be worth the jump from 7mmRM to 7mmSTW. :D

Yeah, that's where that efficiency thing comes in.

Brass just sucks with the STW right now, although I did just find 1650rds just have to sell everything to get it.

Hmmm. Not sure what to do. If I got a gunwerks and got it chambered in 7mm rm it seems like a waste to me. Same with the cooper. Got to have a little more sex appeal. The 7lrm would be a nice choice just no brass, from reading it looks like you get the same performance out of the 7/300 with much better brass selection

Yeah, that's where that efficiency thing comes in.

Brass just sucks with the STW right now, although I did just find 1650rds just have to sell everything to get it.

Hmmm. Not sure what to do. If I got a gunwerks and got it chambered in 7mm rm it seems like a waste to me. Same with the cooper. Got to have a little more sex appeal. The 7lrm would be a nice choice just no brass, from reading it looks like you get the same performance out of the 7/300 with much better brass selection
You can find 8mm RemMag brass everywhere....All you have to do is run it through a 7mm STW FL sizing die 1 time, and you got 7mmSTW brass. :D

Mud-I may build a 7mm practical or 7/300 out of that one.. Maybe not, I've found that those are quite rare, they came out of the custom shop and are pretty tight. Mid 90's production. What'll ya give me for it? I have a sister to it in 300wm, was told they only produced 4 calibers. I missed a 25-06 that was snatched up fast for $1200 and the last a 338 that went quick for the same. Those are the four. It'd be a nice start to a collection for you :D

Greyfox, thanks very much for the info, I'd like a 6.5 but I need more punch as I work out. I just saw an stw from cooper and got my wheels turning. I've honestly never heard a bad thing on the coopers and they hold their value.

The more I read the more I like the sound of the 7practical. Is the only difference the shoulder being pushed out on the practical vs the 7/300? I guess I need to change the title to thread.

A 7mm Practical seems unpractical to me. Honestly, there is already the 7mm Remington Mag, 7mm STW, the 7mm Weatherby, 7mmLRM, 7mm RUM and many others out there that do the same or are even better. The good old 7mm Remington Magnum is a hard cartridge to beat, the 7mm WBY is another great but its been overshadowed by the STW and the Remington Mag.

The argument between the 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm Practical is like arguing over the .308 Norma vs. .300 Winchester. The Norma case is very similar to the 7mm Rem Mag and it burns 5grs less powder than the .300 WIN and is either equal or within 50fps of the Winchester with the same barrel length. If Remington would have picked up on the .308 Norma I believe the .300 Win would never be what it is today.

You can find 8mm RemMag brass everywhere....All you have to do is run it through a 7mm STW FL sizing die 1 time, and you got 7mmSTW brass. :D

I don't seem to find much 8mm...

Looks to be around 100+fops faster than the 7rm. I guess I'm getting off topic to my original question. But I need these answers too.

Reasonable brass.
If the 7/300 will run with the stw & and be worlds easier to get brass
Think about it. 7/300wby certainly will run with the stw and I kind of dig the longer neck. Brass is more than the above, any of these would be an lrh smith
I'm going to have to install a Wyatt's to run the bergers on my stw. Plus they're fetching a premium on GB. It'd put a good dent in a new gunwerks/cooper/mcwhorter. That, the two blued fluted sendero's, and the LNIB sendero in 25/06 that I just picked up:D
But it'd thin the safe too much:D

One thing I'm thinking is gunwerks lrm is reaching the equal velocities of the 7/300 with less pressure. Where the latter is close to maxed the lrm could be run up. Any thoughts

Reasonable brass.
If the 7/300 will run with the stw & and be worlds easier to get brass
Think about it. 7/300wby certainly will run with the stw and I kind of dig the longer neck. Brass is more than the above, any of these would be an lrh smith
I'm going to have to install a Wyatt's to run the bergers on my stw. Plus they're fetching a premium on GB. It'd put a good dent in a new gunwerks/cooper/mcwhorter. That, the two blued fluted sendero's, and the LNIB sendero in 25/06 that I just picked up:D
But it'd thin the safe too much:D

One thing I'm thinking is gunwerks lrm is reaching the equal velocities of the 7/300 with less pressure. Where the latter is close to maxed the lrm could be run up. Any thoughts

The 7mm-.300 WBY is a mega cannon! Has way more power than a 7mm Practical, the 7mm-.300 WBY is closer to the RUM than the Winchester wildcat.

I mean, if you can't find what you want out of all of the LR 7mm's, then pick the one with less cons, and the most pros.

If you want serious capacity and performance, get you a 7mm STW Tejas...It's basically a blown-out 40 degree version of the STW. Brad Stair in Utah builds them. They are his designed calibers. I am fixing to build one soon, since .300 Wby brass is hard to find, so my .300 Ackley build might be on hold for a minute.

Then again, I just discovered that 7mm STW tejas brass is basically .300 Ackley brass...

Yep, 7 STW (left) compared to .300 Ackley (right)...

C705F06C-AF9F-4CD0-AAF0-DEFFBCA1038E_zpsjyafonn1.jpg

C3705289-D35A-439E-91B5-0FF533ECA8E3_zpst2mah59d.jpg

I mean, if you can't find what you want out of all of the LR 7mm's, then pick the one with less cons, and the most pros.

If you want serious capacity and performance, get you a 7mm STW Tejas...It's basically a blown-out 40 degree version of the STW. Brad Stair in Utah builds them. They are his designed calibers.

Sounds like that 7mm STW Tejas would be pretty close to the 7mm RUM in performance. Is it?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.