Contender in 223

14-15 inch barrel will easily get you past 250 yards. If it is a older factory barrel, then, the 50 grain varmint bullet will be deadly.
If it is a custom barrel that has a fast twist rate , then the 70 or 75 grain A-Max, or the 73 grain ELD-M or the 77 grain TMK would work great on squirrels.
Are you wanting to use apistol scope or rifle scope?
Budget for the barrel?
Budget for the scope?

Not a Contender, but my 15" H-S Precision HSP 223 Remington rocks!

14-15 inch barrel will easily get you past 250 yards. If it is a older factory barrel, then, the 50 grain varmint bullet will be deadly.
If it is a custom barrel that has a fast twist rate , then the 70 or 75 grain A-Max, or the 73 grain ELD-M or the 77 grain TMK would work great on squirrels.
Are you wanting to use apistol scope or rifle scope?
Budget for the barrel?
Budget for the scope?
Probably $2000 scope/barrel in some combo. Not fixed.

Likely a pistol scope, but open to advice. It's currently a 7-08 with a 2x pistol scope on it.

I'm in good shape with components for .223 lightweights to heavyweights in bullets.

Not necessarily a primary gun, just my main .223 rifle getting some mileage.

I'll have to get it out of the safe for a look.

Not well versed in those things.
Contender cannot handle a 7mm-08.
If you have a 7mm-08, then for sure you have a Encore frame. Unless you have two different TC frames.
Make sure when you are looking for a barrel, you get a Encore barrel.
Contender barrels will not fit a Encore barrel and a Encore barrel will not fit a Contender frame.

You're correct Encore.

Current configuration. Leupold scope.

Attachments

• IMG-0737.jpg
    IMG-0737.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 63
Even without a muzzle brake, you can easily use a rifle scope.
You may not be able to see a full FOV, but even at that, it would be a greater FOV than you would get with a LER pistol scope, and better glass.
What magnification range are you interested in?

Even without a muzzle brake, you can easily use a rifle scope.
You may not be able to see a full FOV, but even at that, it would be a greater FOV than you would get with a LER pistol scope, and better glass.
What magnification range are you interested in?
FOV, and eye relief more important than magnification.

Lots more shooting under a 100 than over

I appreciate your help!