Considering building out a 1500 yard range. Help me know if anyone would come?

cdherman

OK, I have property in north central Kansas. Truly middle of nowhere -- comically, it is 20 miles from the geographic center of the USA, in Lebanon Ks. Not much there, though the pheasants were better this year.

Anyhow, I am thinking about building some concrete benches, a concrete pad with a raised deck for prone shooting. It would be a drive to targets range, potentially with one gate. 2wd vehicle would suffice.

I can get out to 1500 yards, and have a good creek bank behind that. There are few neighbors, and the closest one routinely blasts tannerite for enjoyment....

It also has an old farmhouse 4 bedrooms, kitchen, bath, so one could theoretically make a destination of it. I would install a loading bench with a press, so folks could theoretically load their own on site.

Question is, just how rare are 1500 yd ranges? I hate to do a lot of work and never have anyone there.

If you're curious where this would be, just google Kensington KS.

No promises here, just wondering about peoples thoughts......

I'm in PA. don't know of any 1500 yard ranges, but would like to try one. I believe in the saying build it and they will come. Good luck with your dream. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Key is determine what you want to do with it first. IF you want to host 600 and 1k competitions, you need 15 benches minimum, covered cleaning areas, plenty of parking and decent hotels within 25-30 miles. Range should point north so sun not in eyes morning or evening. IF not registered matches, look at Thunder Valley Range in Ohio with steel target matches out to 1200 as a go by. There are now west coast IBS long range clubs and a good central range could host the nationals a lot and easy for everyone driving comparitively. 1k Nationals next year are in Missoula Montana so hard for east coast guys to drive 2600 miles one way. Thunder valley has good pics of benches, cleaning areas etc you would need.

I hear you say in the middle of no where, but google DA pamphlet 385-63 dated 2014 and look at what they call distance X for larger small arms calibers on some of their range fans. You need to have long way behind last berm to catch bullets skipping and richoceting and they will. You are talking 3-5 miles long and about mile wide. one stray round hitting a car or house somewhere and you are shut down and bankrupt. Numerous instances of neighbor "planting" a round on their property in an attempt to shut down a range.

In front of berms you are going to need to put a sloping drain field leading to a containment pond off to one side to catch lead run dust/material run off. Otherwise millions to "mine" the berm of lead bullets if the environmental guys demand it. Easy to clean the pond compared to berms.

Go visit Tom Sarver at Thunder Valley. He has steel matches all the time and making good money. His land is old strip mines and hilly so bullet containment is easier than flat kansas.

Last edited:
Long range shooting in general has exploded. I look at forums I'm a member of, and the number of beginners has risen considerably.
If you get it set up right and make it safe and friendly, I have no doubt it will be stuffed full of people every weekend.

If you can incorporate into something besides just a range. Maybe a shooting school or hunting /guide service. A sanctioned shoot with PRS or F class or any other number of events. You can have more than 1 reason to go to your range. A BnB out of the farm house may be a start to expand to some bunk houses for an all inclusive as well. Action is what makes dreams come true
Best of luck

I'd drive from STL for that, especially if you had lodging. My farm range only gets me to 500yd, and the other farm I shoot on ends at 1000. It sounds like you may be on to something here. good luck and keep us posted.

I too think that you would be successful. Look up Fouled Bore in Ninnekah, Oklahoma. It's a couple hours from everywhere, he charges $30/person/day, with annual membership available if someone wants to commit to coming more often. I would recommend that you contact him to see if he can help you with some advice.

I was certainly not thinking to host events, more just as a place for one or a few shooters to come and have access to 1500 yards.

The comments about backstops and downrange issues worry more, after some thought. Its one thing if I am shooting, quite another if I start charging for access. Might be a deal killer, as the next house "down range" is only another 2000 yards or so distant (3500 from bench). Theoretically, if someone aimed really stupid in the sky, they could get there.

The bank I'd be shooting into is a good 40 feet of elevation from the base, so for non-idiots, not a problem. But idiot proof.... Nope

I shudder to think about the cost of the insurance policy for that, however unlikely....

But that doesn't mean I won't someday drop a single bench and platform in.... Might be a good way to have friends!!! I like the idea of a weekend of LR shooting, pack up the reloading gear, fixings for some meals, little touch of good spirits for the evening and away you go.....

Thanks for the replies. Don't start calling just yet -- this is just a dream for now....

Good luck with what ever you decide. Liability insurance I am sure would be very high if you commercialized it. But putting in a few firing lanes and having a friendly shoot and cook out with friends sounds like a real good time to me. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.