ConeTrol mounts and rings

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Sully2, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Ive seen them advertised for "many a moon" but in more than 50 years never saw even 1 set on a rifle.

Anyone ever used them??..If so..good ..bad....indifferent??

Inquiring minds would like to know...

2. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

I have a set. They came with a used rifle/scope I purchased. They've worked well, but I have to disclaim that by stating I don't use that rifle a lot, the rifle doesn't have a muzzle brake, and the cartridge is a .280 RCBS 30 degree Improved. Anyhow, to the extent I've removed one scope and re-mounted another and then used the rifle off and on over a period of 10 years, the ConeTrol mounts have functioned without any noted problems for me.

3. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

4. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

I would agree with this. The rings look great. They blend right in with the scope tube. And I will add that the scope I mounted in my Conetrol's was a 2.5-8x32mm Leupold Vari-X III. A very lightweight scope at about 11.5 oz. Not much of a durability test of these scope rings/mounts, compared to hanging a 22-36 oz scope in them.

5. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Very good ring used them on a .375 H&H, heavy bullets, lots of rounds. A variety of scopes.

The variety of scopes part is probably why I don't use them any more, kind of pain in the set up phase. Excellent fit and machine work, good contact with the scope.

A common mistake is bearing down on the cone screws, and bending the little top cap.

I have seen them used to attach big scopes to big kickers, without complaint.

Also a very good looking ring.

Odd timing I just went through a file cabinet, and tossed a bunch of 30 year old material regarding use.

6. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of you guys replies.....very helpful