Need help with Mounts and Bases

Bang4theBuck

Hello. I had a custom 6.5x284 rifle built on a remingtion long action. I Topped it with a 20 moa Warne Rail, and a Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 scope, and I forgot the size NF rings. I have struggled with having more of a 'chin welt' ranther than cheek welt. The combination is way to high. I did check at one point, and the next size down in the NF rings will be too tight to the barrel. I am wondering if there is some solution out there that would change the geometry for me. With the Nightforce, there is plenty of elevation adjustment, so maybe I don't need the 20 MOA rail? How much would that improve my situation? Maybe a zero MOA would cant the scope back down enought to get a lower ring? Is there any known software, or spreadsheet to assist with this? Here are some stats:
Top of rail to bottom of scope tube= ~.725"
Top of rail to middle of scope ring= ~ 1.442"
Gap between top of rail and bottom of scope bell= ~.350"

See Picture. 6.5x284 Image with NF Scope.jpg

I have the same problem with most rifles. Particularly with large dia scopes. I think because I have a short face. I installed an adjustable cheek piece on the stock. Pretty easy to install, just have to drill a couple of holes in the stock.

Steve

I have the same problem with most rifles. Particularly with large dia scopes. I think because I have a short face. I installed an adjustable cheek piece on the stock. Pretty easy to install, just have to drill a couple of holes in the stock.

Steve

That is the practical solution.

With that rifle/chambering the scope is appropriate. The scope height is about as close as you can get unless you get multiple ring sets and try them.

Defensive Edge makes a simple easy lightweight adjustable cheek piece that I've used on all my rifles with low combs. I even have one of their cheek pieces on a wood stock. Some of them have big knobs on them to make adjusting easier I guess but the one Defensive Edge has can be adjusted using pretty much any coin you may have in your pocket and leaves a nice clean look to the stock with nothing sticking out. Pretty cheap too. Products

Personally I would ditch the 20moa rail and rings. I would go with talley light weight one piece base/rings in probably a high. should lower the scope down some. It looks like you have plenty of room up front if you loose the 20moa rail it will be more.

But the check piece is also another great idea.

Personally I would ditch the 20moa rail and rings. I would go with talley light weight one piece base/rings in probably a high. should lower the scope down some. It looks like you have plenty of room up front if you loose the 20moa rail it will be more.

But the check piece is also another great idea.

I agree. By choosing the proper Talley Light Weights, I would think the scope could be dropped at least 1/4" which is a lot.

Probably will still need the cheek pad, but keeping the cheek pad low/thin is still best.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.