Need help with scope mounting problem?

rcdinaz

I have a Mod 70 in 300 RUM that I put an NXS scope on with Nightforce rings and base. I thought it would be cool to have the scope match some of the colors in the stock and eventually have the Barrel and action match as well. So I had the scope and rings done up with Duracoat. (okay I can hear some of you chuckling and at least one smith from this site advised against this:rolleyes:).

So after 4 trips to the range I figured out the scope is slowly sliding back into the rings from the recoil and the poor grip the duracoat has surface to surface.

What are my options?

I was thinking of lapping the rings to see if the bare metal will hold?
Will I need to remove the material from the scope as well?

I'm by no means a smith or expert, but my optimistic opinion is that if you can get the coat completely out of the rings you may be able to get enough grip to stop the sliding depending on how thick the coating on the scope is. I have no idea how thick Duracoat is or how soft so my opinion may be worthless. My real world logical opinion is no. Following recommended torque settings on rings has never worked for me. It's always taken a bit more to hold them there rock solid. Like I said I'm no expert, just my thoughts. Maybe someone with more knowledge and expertise can lend a hand. Try it lightbulb maybe it will work:D

Edit: Not sure what bullet/powder combo you're using, but my 7mm RUM with 84.5grs of RL-22 pushing a 154gr SST provides a heavy, but slow and smooth amount of recoil. It would probably work if your gun shoots like that. If it hit's like Thor's hammer I'd be more inclined to think it won't work. Don't worry my opinions will probably have plenty laughing as well...I don't care as long as I can learn something from it lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! I am going to try and clean up the rings this weekend unless someone gives me a better solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.