Compressed load causing this?

Buzzsaw

Question; never had this issue before.

6.5 Creedmoor, Alpha brass, 41.5gr RL-16, 143gr ELDX. While seating bullets to 2.800, the bullets seem to reach the powder, seating becomes very hard, then the bullets get deformed where the seater plug touches the bullet. I am using the Wilson VLD seater plug. I "tap" the cases to settle the powder, even tried a bit of graphite powder on the bullet bases while seating.

Load is great in my rifle but I'm concerned. Should I just scrap the RL-16 and go to H4350? Using this seating method:

While seating bullets to 2.800, the bullets seem to reach the powder, seating becomes very hard, then the bullets get deformed where the seater plug touches the bullet.
If this is truly happening I would do something different. Either extend the OAL if mag box will allow or go to a 130 bullet.
I can tell you I was testing 568 in my 30-28 and as soon as I heard powder crunching the speeds and accuracy went to Hell.

Is the alpha brass new or once fired? My new 22 CM Alpha brass has extremely tight necks to the point it was deforming bullets while seating. I had to expand with a mandrel to make it go away.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, it's likely compressed powder. Use a drop tube or vibrate with a toothbrush to get it to settle. I had the same thing happen in my 6 ARC recently - backing off the load made loading more smooth and there wasn't a ring on the bullets after seating.

Is the alpha brass new or once fired? My new 22 CM Alpha brass has extremely tight necks to the point it was deforming bullets while seating. I had to expand with a mandrel to make it go away.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, it's likely compressed powder. Use a drop tube or vibrate with a toothbrush to get it to settle. I had the same thing happen in my 6 ARC recently - backing off the load made loading more smooth and there wasn't a ring on the bullets after seating.
I dont like the Alpha brass. I will try my Peterson.

Theres compressed then there's compressed, when it crunchs powder time to do something different.
If you dont run alot of neck tension it will push the bullets back out a few thou, which will screw up accuracy.
That wasn't my case but it can.

This is only one rifle/cartridge so may not be relevant to all …..I had a load that was so compressed, even using a drop tube and lightly vibrating the case, would bulge the case if the bullet were seated fast. Slowly seating the bullet stopped the case bulging!

This is the only powder that I had at the time for this particular application…..though I knew it was a bit too slow!

My groups were pretty darn good with this particular combination! memtb

Crunching powder has never worked out for me. I dont know what action O.P is using but if he can run a Wyatts extended box it will solve his problem.
I run 43.0 with H4350 in my nephews wife's 6.5 creed with 130 Bergers and no problem having enough room for that powder with a wyatts box

Crunching powder has never worked out for me. I dont know what action O.P is using but if he can run a Wyatts extended box it will solve his problem.
I run 43.0 with H4350 in my nephews wife's 6.5 creed with 130 Bergers and no problem having enough room for that powder with a wyatts box
I run 43.5 RL16 with the 130 burger, but I'm not limited to 2.8". Another option would be to bed your seating stem to fit your bullet. I've done this a number of times with the JB Weld and it's worked well.