Compressed Load

I use compressed loads whenever I can, high charge density usually works better but some just don't like the idea of it.

I stay away from compressed loads but try instead to achieve high density charging with good case fill.
Depending on your neck tension and friction, a compressed load can change seating over time.

I use a 15" drop tube to charge more densely. If needed, I snap the charged cases with a finger to settle further.
With this I can get more powder in without forcing it with seating.

I'v used compressed loads for my 220 Swift never had a problem. I just never found them to be the most accurate for my gun. I plan to start loading for my 22 Hornet from what I'v read most of the good loads are compressed. Some by as much as 110%. I'll try them.

My observation is that I get lowest velocity standard deviation with loads between 95 and 98 % case fills. Within that range I use ladder tests at the rifle's maximum useful range for smallest groups. I don't tune for short range groups. I also keep my loads under 90% of SAAMI max pressure with modern cartridges and firearms, though that's for longevity of the firearms rather than short term accuracy or energy. I just don't use cartridge/bullet/powder combinations where compressed loads are needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.