Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Dang, looks like those bullets blew up then penciled through:D It sure is nice to shoot a bullet that grabs and trashes it way through animals. Great job guiding your hunters by the way, getting them on target and delivering a one shot kill!!!

Yeah....:D They blew up and a spaceship was hovering over head to collect the vapors of copper and lead. It was the alien craft that sucked the life out of these two elk.:rolleyes::D

These two are proof that a fragmenting bullet will sometimes cover your butt when you screw up.

Thank you for the kind words. I want to say I would never let a hunter pull the trigger if I was not confident it would be a clean kill. I have hunted with all these people before.

Jeff

Seen this buck 3 days ago and been looking for him again every evening. Tonight he was in love chasing a doe and it got him in trouble. I thought he was a lot bigger than he was but even with the ground shrinkage I will take him 3 days before season closes. He was on the next ridge and I shot him 15 minutes before shooting hours close with the NPR1 reticle on 22X no illumination @ 857 yards.

The facts:
300 win with a 215 Berger Hybrid
857 yards
impact velocity= 2107 fps.
energy = 2120 lbs.
bullet exited with 1 1/4" exit
DRT!!

Exit and placement pic

11_22mulie3.jpg

Lungs not looking too good and hart was perforated too.. Yum!

11_22mulie4.jpg

Hero pic in the head lights after a drag out in the dark

11_22muledeer.jpg

The old junky 300 win with 215 Bergers is 17 and 0 :cool:

gun)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broz, I have really enjoyed reading your posts. You and your 300 win r a biggame ninja.... haha. I hope to one day have the confidence to pull off half the shots you guys do. Still have a box of 215's to try in my 300 ultra....... Must be way behind the eightball cuz ive just recently got my load work done with the 210's. Either way glad I went with berger. Dan

Broz, I have really enjoyed reading your posts. You and your 300 win r a biggame ninja.... haha. I hope to one day have the confidence to pull off half the shots you guys do. Still have a box of 215's to try in my 300 ultra....... Must be way behind the eightball cuz ive just recently got my load work done with the 210's. Either way glad I went with berger. Dan

Thanks! Nothing wrong with the 210 Bergers. They have been my 30 cal hunting bullet of choice for years.

Jeff

I don't know your rifle specs but I am betting it would be a good choice. If you like what you have read here.

Jeff

Savage model 12 lrp 26" 1:10 twist..Jeff anytime you and your son are involved its good readin........ wife finally gave me the go ahead to start reloadin, press and everything else will be a mutual xmass gift that keeps on givin...

Another elk DRT.... Well if you don't count it rolling down the hill like a sack of potatoes. My wife took this large cow today with my 300 win and a 215 Berger. She tucked it right behind the shoulder with the cow quartering away. One and done.

Distance 585 yards
impact velocity was 2397
energy was 2743 lbs

Didn't take pics inside as it was dark by the time I got it gutted. But it had a .308 entrance, mush for lungs and no exit.

Jeff

DSC04212.jpg

very nicely done.
is that an ELK it kinda looks like the sambar over here in australia.
if its a sambar doe ITS HUGE

I dont mean to hijack thias great thread, but can you guys tell me how long your 210 and 215s are from the base to the tip? I'm getting ready to build a 300 win mag and am trying to figure out if the long ones will fit in a regular rem mag box or if I need to use a wyatt's box.
Thanks.
Sandman

I dont mean to hijack thias great thread, but can you guys tell me how long your 210 and 215s are from the base to the tip? I'm getting ready to build a 300 win mag and am trying to figure out if the long ones will fit in a regular rem mag box or if I need to use a wyatt's box.
Thanks.
Sandman

No problem.

The 210's measure 3.550"
the 215's measure 3.630"

Both loads are -.040" off the lans in my rifle with my reamer.

Jeff

Today I took a friends uncle out for a cow elk. Found a small herd grazing and put a little sneak on them to the top of a ridge for a down hill shot ay 780 yards. The trigger broke and shortly after the cow folded up and went straight down. Kicked a few times and was done.

Facts:
300 win / 215 Berger Hybrid
780 yards
impact velocity= 2213 fps.
energy= 2338 lbs.
Bullet exited with a nice 1 1/4" exit hole
Placement was less than perfect but even back a little, fragments made it to the heart and lungs.

The cow as we found her with exit hole.

COW11_24_12.jpg

Heart and lung damage

COW411_24_12.jpg

Pic from the cow back to the shooting position (red arrow)

COW311_24_12.jpg

The happy picture of her loaded up after a 2 hr. drag.

DSC04253800x600-1.jpg

This is big game animal number 18 for the season for this rifle and the 215 Berger Hybrids. The majority of the animals have went straight down. The ones that didn't have not made it more than a few steps. The thing that amazes me is the fact that these bullet have seemed to cover our butt on a few shots with not perfect placements. This is why I prefer a bullet that fragments. They have my back. But when you get one that works like this one did where it fragments and severely damages vitals while still passing through with a large exit hole you have it all. And that is what the 215 Hybrids are doing for me on the long pokes. How can I not like this bullet for hunting?

Jeff

Sir, I don't know how you would.
I have a fact. lam. stock 300WM Sendero that shoots very well indeed for a factory rifle. The throat is fairly short for a fact. rifle but I am going to try these!
Great info, I appreciate you sharing!!

Well, the 2012 Montana Elk and deer season is now closed. But not before we whacked one more cow for a friend of mine. First long range shot he has ever taken using anything other than hold over poke and hope. I dialed him in for the shot at 500 yards and he did a good job on the trigger end. The cow dropped and rolled into a ravine. The next two hours was spent dragging her out. I didn't take pics this time but it was just like the other 500 yard shots. One shot and done.

That makes 19 big game kills for the 300 win and the 215 Berger Hybrid this season. I hope I get to post one more for an even 20. This time of a wolf and soon.

Jeff