Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Today I was asked to go along on a hunt with a good friend and his grandson. It was windy as all get out. We snuck into a herd and the boy chose this bull bedded at not the best angle to us. But we were only 230 yards away. He snuck one in behind the shoulder but the angle was making for a exit in the neck area. Bottom line is it worked. Upon impact the bull flopped over and tossed it's head back. But then struggled and got up did the "Berger Wobble" for a short distance with blood coming from its mouth and then fell. .308" entrance again, not exit, vitals mush and a ton of blood in the broiler room.

300 win and 215 Berger 15 and 0 for this season.:cool:

Impact velocity= 2792
energy= 3721 lbs

The dead Bull showing shot placement. The way he fell the blood ran up toward the spine. So the placement was center body.
DSC04218.jpg

The damaged heart and lungs.

DSC04219.jpg

The happy hunter with his 2012 Bull

DSC04217.jpg

Jeff I always feel bad for guys like you who don't get to do very much hunting. There's always next year though!

Congrats to all involved! I can't wait till I'm holding my custom 300 win in my hands!!!

Jeff I always feel bad for guys like you who don't get to do very much hunting. There's always next year though!

Congrats to all involved! I can't wait till I'm holding my custom 300 win in my hands!!!

Tomorrow my son and I hunt for him an elk with his 300 win and the 230's. If I see a good mule deer I will whack it with my 300 win and a 215. This weekend I may be helping a few other people hunt so if the distance is very far they will be offered my 300 too. Yes, it is tough being cooped up inside this time of year..:D But the season ends Sunday, oh wait.... Mountain Lions on board next and then hard after a wolf.. The wolf season will run into next year probably till Feb. Then calling yotes till mid April and spring bear opens....gun)gun)

I didn't move to the beautiful state on Montana by accident. It was a life long dream.

Jeff

Tomorrow my son and I hunt for him an elk with his 300 win and the 230's. If I see a good mule deer I will whack it with my 300 win and a 215. This weekend I may be helping a few other people hunt so if the distance is very far they will be offered my 300 too. Yes, it is tough being cooped up inside this time of year..:D But the season ends Sunday, oh wait.... Mountain Lions on board next and then hard after a wolf.. The wolf season will run into next year probably till Feb. Then calling yotes till mid April and spring bear opens....gun)gun)

I didn't move to the beautiful state on Montana by accident. It was a life long dream.

Jeff

I'm quite jealous! I'm headed out in a couple weeks to attempt my longest kill on game. If the conditions are just right I hope to brake the 700 yard mark this year. Conditions will have to be **** near perfect because a nice Coues buck is on the menu. They are small targets and live in steep terrain so I just hope for the right opportunity. Best of luck on the rest of your season! Not sure if you can call it a season when you hunt year round but good luck anyway!!!

No way! I already asked first but I think Jeff thought 44 was a little old to be adopted so I asked him if I could be him when I grow up then.... :D

One thing Jeff has done for sure and that is he has put ANYONES concern/s about Berger's 215 as a hunting bullet to rest.

Thanksgiving morning hunt with a friends brother-in-law and his 13 yr. old son. I put this herd to bed last night so I knew pretty much where we needed to be this morning. A short hike up to one of my favorite vantage points revealed they were in range. Now to find this young hunter his first bull. Located a 4x5 in the middle of the herd. range was 555 yards, wind was 4 o:clock at 10 mph. Dialed him in and talked him through the shot. Had to wait for cows to clear and check and recheck that we were on the right bull and not a spike.

He let a 215 Hybrid from my 300 win fly and I watched the bull hunch up and start to walk. The hit was a little too far back but it was obvious the bull was hurting. I had him chamber another and get back on him. By now the herd was moving away and the bull turned down hill. His rear went down first then his front and he expired. His dad was with us and had a cow tag. I asked if he wanted to use the rifle and fill his tag... he replied sure!! :D

We got his dad lined up on a cow that was not completely square to us at 535 yds. But he felt he could get the bullet in the vitals so I said either wait or send it if you are good. He sent it and the cow went straight down. We watched and her head came up about 2 or 3 times and with in 15 seconds she laid motionless.

As we got to the two elk we could see that neither bullet was what I call a good hit. But they did do the job.

Here are the pics.

The 13 yr. old hunter with his first ever bull.

DSC04230640x480.jpg

Shot placement of the exit. Too far back and a little high.

DSC04226640x480.jpg

exit hole.

DSC04227640x480.jpg

entrance with hide off

DSC04245640x480.jpg

Exit with hide off

DSC04250640x480.jpg

The cow at 535.

DSC04233640x480.jpg

The shot placement here was way bad. Pic with hide off of entrance.

DSC04243640x480.jpg

The angle of the cow was the biggest problem. Way more of a quartering shot than it appeared at the time of fire. Even the slightest angle will magnify the error in placement. Here is the exit high rear of far quarter.
I am shocked this one exited as it had to travel 16" and took out the spine on its way. It took out some major arteries and she bled out fast.

DSC04242640x480.jpg

Facts.
Impact velocity for both of these were about 2435 fps.
Energy was 2828 lbs.
Both exited with good sized exits.

I hate poor shot placements or even being part of them. I will not take an *** shot. Just don't need to kill something that bad. But I wanted to report these as well as they show the fact these bullets killed even when things go wrong. A little off on the wind, poor break of the trigger or an error in placement magnified by animal angle. Thank goodness both animals died quickly from loss of blood.

I continue to feel these bullets are doing a fine job for a true Long Range Hunting Bullet. These were #15 and #16 for big game kills this season with the same 300 win and the 215 Berger Hybrid.

So 16 and 0 ain't too shabby.

Jeff

No way! I already asked first but I think Jeff thought 44 was a little old to be adopted so I asked him if I could be him when I grow up then.... :D

One thing Jeff has done for sure and that is he has put ANYONES concern/s about Berger's 215 as a hunting bullet to rest.

or the hybrid target bullets for that matter, along with Eric's confirmation.

Dang, looks like those bullets blew up then penciled through:D It sure is nice to shoot a bullet that grabs and trashes it way through animals. Great job guiding your hunters by the way, getting them on target and delivering a one shot kill!!!