COAL vs OAL

Steve7mm08

This is most likely a stupid question, but nevertheless one that has been bugging me.

What is the difference between COAL and OAL??

If I use a stoney point comparator on my calipers does that give COAL or OAL?

Someone put me right please

Cheers, Steve

I consider COAL and OAL the same thing and is defined on the SAAMI Glossary

SAAMI | Product Manuals

in the 2nd definition

"LENGTH, OVERALL
1. Firearm: The dimension measured parallel to the axis of the bore from the muzzle to a line at right angles to the axis and tangent to the rearmost point of the butt-plate or grip.
2. Ammunition: The greatest dimension of a loaded cartridge, i.e., from face of the head to the tip of the bullet for centerfire or rimfire or to the crimp for shotshells or blanks (not to be confused with the uncrimped length in a shotshell.) "

You are not measuring the COAL or the OAL with the comparator. You are measuring to the point on the ogive that is close to caliber dimension. That is shorter than COAL but much more useful.

On a related note, is there a standard term for the measurement to the ogive? In my notes I just use OGL... I don't even record the actual OAL

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.