Signs of Pressure vs COAL Question

I would really like to get this rifle shooting in the 1/2" range...I haven't tried any other powder yet as I have a big jug of Retumbo and its expensive to buy all this powder. However, I am considering different powder at this point.

I am looking in the Nosler Reloading book as I am using Accubond 180gr. bullets and it lists H1000 as a realtively slow muzzle velocity. I was thinking of trying Magnum or RL 25...any experience with these or H1000 in a 300 RUM?

Since I am new to reloading, I have another dumb question...does powder really make a difference as some people say Retumbo works great and others say they have to use a different powder. Just dont know why it would work in one persons rifle and not in mine?

Thanks again!

-Fred

Welcome to reloading !
I tried many different powders when working up loads in my .300 RUM's
and yes, it does make a difference. settled on h-1000 as the best for accuracy and consistant. But, several other people i know use a differnt powder, all depends on YOUR rifle .

Well I did it...I went ahead and ordered a few 1 pound canisters of powder. I figured I would save on the $25 haz mat fee and just order a bunch at one time.

I ordered RL25, Magnum, MagPro and H1000...I already have a bunch of IMR7828 that I have yet to try.

I also ordered a box of 200 grain accubonds.

I will load up a bunch and see what works best as I think I can do better than the 3/4 inch group that Retumbo produced.

Another question...I keep reading about a ladder test...what is that? Is it a way to test a new load? Just looking for a way to start testing these powders and maybe bullett combos.

Thanks,
Fred

I have a 27" barreled 300Rum. I use 89.5 grains of H1000 to push 210VLD's to 3110fps. I am touching the rifling. It runs very consistent velocities and low ES. My last group had an ES of 7fps. I switched to Hodgdon once I got educated on how ambient air temperatures affect your rifle's velocity and accuracy (had a bad experience with RL22 in hot weather.) If your rifle likes it, stick with one of Hodgdon's Extreme line of powders (either H1000 or Retumbo for your Rum). You won't have to be concerned about your load going crazy on those hot days.

Speaking to the OP. COL has nothing to do with when the bullet will actually TOUCH the lands. If you use COL it will not be consistent. Do a search on it here. It has been covered many times.

I think what he means (though hard to know for sure) is that COL as measured from meplat (bullet tip) to cartridge base is not always consistent.
However, COL as measured from ogive to cartridge base IS consistent, so DOES tell when the bullet touches the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.