Closest Factory Rifles to Custom?

I tell you what, for an out of the box factory rifle, the Remington 700 sendero is extremely impressive. I've shot two of my buddies senderos one in 7 RM and one in 300 WM. They were both shooters and recoil was easily manageable for unbraked rifles.
I have a Sendero SFII in 300 WM. It shoots great but I've come to realize that lugging that thing around is quite the chore, especially after topping it with a US Optics scope and sticking a bipod on it. As far as taking hunting with me, it hasn't happened and doubt it will. I realize there are trade offs but I'm probably going to sell it off and pick up something with a more managable weight that I can take to the range and hunting without needing a dolly.

Last edited:
morning, buy ur components, take to very good smithy
instructions, to how to build. this what I doo, many times.
I have some real shooters 223AI, 243AI, 6mmAI, 257wbee,
Rem.300WM, 308W, 7mmWbee, Rem. 22-250AI, 250 sav.
and 257STW. all custom built. Pete Phiffer, Hempstead, TX. Hart, Shilen,
Douglas and green mountain octagon barrel.
weatherby, Rem., Sako, and Winchester actions. timmey triggers,
and H&S custom stocks. all of the rem. actions were 721, except
one was a older 700. good machine work cost money.
GBOT TUM

I think the answer to the OP's question is to take a look at the offerings that fall into the "semi-custom" category. My primary hunting rifle is a Cooper, and know of several others owned by friends. All are as close to full custom as I have seen in a "semi-custom" rifle. They produce .5MOA or less at LR, are very nicely finished, blueprinted, and have an action that is as nice as any of my customs. It can be purchased with a wide variety of options if desired(cerrakote, etc). If you shoot out the barrel, Cooper will replace it for $125.

Just referring to rifles of European manufacturers ( no Tikka / Sako !!) that are available in the US and of very high standard. First of all Heym SR 21 or SR 30 (straight pull), all bolt rifles from Steyr Mannlicher / Austria, all Sauer and Mauser models and from many other minor manufacturers, who are unfortunately almost unknown in the US.

After reading all the posts/ads listing the multitude of beautiful custom rifles on this site a question came to mind. Since some of us have much more love than money to invest in our dream rifle I would like to get the experts advice and opinions:

What is the closest factory rifles/makers that can attempt to compare to a well done custom rifles? And, what specific mods would that factory rifle require to compare?

In my feeble attempts to get close I've slowly, over time, purchased several rifles, Tikka, Remmington, Savage, and added pillars, bedding, new triggers, bottom metal, magazines, etc. But I know they're still not on par with a custom build, and never would be. Just curious which ones would get me closest, until I win that lottery.
See if you can find yourself a Mountain Eagle. Made in Minn. w/Sako action/Krieger barrel & HS precision stock. Can pick them up for between $1k-1500 tops and are every bit the rifle you see here or anywhere else.

After reading all the posts/ads listing the multitude of beautiful custom rifles on this site a question came to mind. Since some of us have much more love than money to invest in our dream rifle I would like to get the experts advice and opinions:

What is the closest factory rifles/makers that can attempt to compare to a well done custom rifles? And, what specific mods would that factory rifle require to compare?

In my feeble attempts to get close I've slowly, over time, purchased several rifles, Tikka, Remmington, Savage, and added pillars, bedding, new triggers, bottom metal, magazines, etc. But I know they're still not on par with a custom build, and never would be. Just curious which ones would get me closest, until I win that lottery.
There is a Mountain Eagle on GunBroker right now, unfired, 270 win. $800. A STEAL.

I want a rifle I can pick the action and the barrel type, barrel twist and length. Action and barrel specs to me are the most important part of the build.
Some companies are offering a lower priced gun they pick the specs on but most are built on their action, a mass produced barrel and their choice of stock.

I wouldn't say any of these are really close to a custom. They might shoot great but a custom they are not

I appreciate all the input and will research the Mountain Eagle. Another question: Is it feasible to want a custom, or semi-custom build that would weigh less than 10 lbs?

I appreciate all the input and will research the Mountain Eagle. Another question: Is it feasible to want a custom, or semi-custom build that would weigh less than 10 lbs?

I'm still working on the handload for my Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5x284 but preliminary results show it should be around .5 MOA or less and it's 6.5 pounds before optics.

Build it with a carbon fiber Proof Research barrel, a fairly lightweight hunting stock (not a target-type stock), and you should be hitting pretty close to that mark.

Build it with a carbon fiber Proof Research barrel, a fairly lightweight hunting stock (not a target-type stock), and you should be hitting pretty close to that mark.
Just checked out those barrels, very nice.....and very expensive. Maybe I can sell off one of my factory ones just to buy the barrel. Might have to do it all bit by bit.....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.