Closed

Re: New 6.5 Sherman build

Curious as to what the 6.5 Sherman performace will be like. Does it mirror a 264win but out of a 06 case?......Done my on searching an it seem to be a really awesome round with some great ballistics.

I'm not super familiar with the 264 WM.
Here's some numbers for you:
My old 6.5 Sherman had a 24" Bartlein barrel. My hunting load was throwing the 150gr Matrix at a screaming 3180' using RL33. My accuracy load was with 50BMG and went low to mid 3000'. The ballistics on all of Rich's cartidges are awesome and defy expectations.

Last edited:

Curious as to what the 6.5 Sherman performace will be like. Does it mirror a 264win but out of a 06 case?......Done my on searching an it seem to be a really awesome round with some great ballistics.

It sure does appear to be a great round by all indications. The velocities I have seen are very close to .264WM, though with a smaller capacity I don"t see how with the same pressures.

However, even if within 100fps, it would still be great. I have a M700 in 270 waiting for a build, it is being considered.

I think with equal length barrels, the Sherman may be better because of the efficiency. It will reach 3300 with 140's and 3100 with 160's in a 26" barrel. These are max loads for sure but not primer blowing either.

Well, Rhian has trued the action up and installed the extractor so far! I lucked out and found 3 pounds of RL26 at a sportsmans warehouse. Everywhere else I looked was out. Now I have Retumbo, H1000 and RL26 to do load development with the 143 ELD-X. Very excited to get this rifle up and running for my New Mexico Coues deer hunt in November!

Well, Rhian has trued the action up and installed the extractor so far! I lucked out and found 3 pounds of RL26 at a sportsmans warehouse. Everywhere else I looked was out. Now I have Retumbo, H1000 and RL26 to do load development with the 143 ELD-X. Very excited to get this rifle up and running for my New Mexico Coues deer hunt in November!

I can't remember if I told you yet, but you should check the diameter on your 143's. Some lots are over size by .0002-.0003" and can cause pressure issues if you are unaware..........Rich

Yessir, I about it on the other thread that you posted on. I will check them. If they don't work out then the 140 bergers will! :D

Gotta get some dies from you here pretty soon as well.

I have a lot of 500 6.5 ELD X's and I measured the OD with a indicator mic. The OD' measured .2642 to .2643. They are holding a very close tolerance on their bullets but they are bigger on the OD than a Berger or other brands.
I spoke with a ballistician at Hornady and they claim it is not a mistake. They did it intentionally! They claimed that was part of there design.
Like any other bullet, loads should be worked up accordingly.
From what I hear people are getting excellent results but it seems to me that people want to compare to Bergers. That's cool but bottom line do they shoot? Will they perform better than any open tip bullet? That is the question! Time will tell is all I am saying.
A whole lot of folks build their reamers for the Bergers. If the ELD's prove themselves, folks will build accordingly.

Ray

I have a lot of 500 6.5 ELD X's and I measured the OD with a indicator mic. The OD' measured .2642 to .2643. They are holding a very close tolerance on their bullets but they are bigger on the OD than a Berger or other brands.
I spoke with a ballistician at Hornady and they claim it is not a mistake. They did it intentionally! They claimed that was part of there design.
Like any other bullet, loads should be worked up accordingly.
From what I hear people are getting excellent results but it seems to me that people want to compare to Bergers. That's cool but bottom line do they shoot? Will they perform better than any open tip bullet? That is the question! Time will tell is all I am saying.
A whole lot of folks build their reamers for the Bergers. If the ELD's prove themselves, folks will build accordingly.

Ray

Hi Ray.....I find this VERY interesting! As you know, I am a fan of how well the 143's have performed in my SS both for accuracy and for initial expansion tests. Having said that, I am not at all thrilled about the fact that Hornady intentionally made over size bullets, if that is indeed what they did. Sure you can make a special reamer and have everything work in your favor, but who wants to build rifles based on what one manufacturer decides to do? Will I have to have 2 sets of reamers for all my builds?The other side to this is that my 6.5 Sherman DOES NOT LIKE the 143's, because it has a tight bore and my bullets measured exactly what yours do (.2642-.2643") In fact, it blows primers with what should be a moderate load and velocity is also lacking. This could really cause some problems with a lot of folks who reload but do not check everything as carefully as you or I might do.
Another thing I am wondering is "did Hornady say they made ALL of the ELDX that way, or just the 6.5's"? I just measured some 175 gr. .284's and they measured .2839"! Why would they make the .264's over size and the .284's bore size, or slightly under in my case? Like I said, I really like the way they shoot in my SS, but I think I smell a rat here! Some others have reported that some of the .264's measure .2640. I don't know if they really do or is this a measuring error. I would like to see some more people do some accurate measuring on the various bore sizes and see what they get.......Rich

I measured mine and they are .264. I even measured different brands of bullets and different calibers to make sure that my calipers were ok and those all measured correctly as well. BUT...my calipers don't measure past the thousandths. I think it would be stupid if them to make them oversized. What would be the purpose of that?

I measured mine and they are .264. I even measured different brands of bullets and different calibers to make sure that my calipers were ok and those all measured correctly as well. BUT...my calipers don't measure past the thousandths. I think it would be stupid if them to make them oversized. What would be the purpose of that?

If a bore is over size at all, which many factory barrels are, they will shoot more accurately because it fills the bore better. It is a bandaid approach for better accuracy but can also cause a lot of issues, some of which I mentioned above. I believe that is what they told Ray, and I will stop short of any accusations, but it does not add up to me at this point......Rich

Hi Rich,
Don't shoot the messenger, I suggest people call and ask for tech support. Please draw your own conclusions.

I know they are working for you and I think that is great but from what I have read the diameter of the 143's varies more than most of us would like.

I encourage more people to make the call to Hornady and post here. It could get interesting. The guy I spoke with was very defensive and proud of this line of bullets. Sorry I did not get his name! I was checking for my own satisfaction and did not think I would be the one answering for it.
Please call!

Hi Rich,
Don't shoot the messenger, I suggest people call and ask for tech support. Please draw your own conclusions.

I know they are working for you and I think that is great but from what I have read the diameter of the 143's varies more than most of us would like.

I encourage more people to make the call to Hornady and post here. It could get interesting. The guy I spoke with was very defensive and proud of this line of bullets. Sorry I did not get his name! I was checking for my own satisfaction and did not think I would be the one answering for it.
Please call!

I am not blaming you at all Ray! I just think that is not a cool thing to do for a manufacturer. Like I said, we can make it work just fine, but the burden should not be on everyone but Hornady. What happened to standards? I still am not convinced it was intentional on their part either; but maybe it was? Like I said, my 284's are a little under if anything.....Rich

I am not blaming you at all Ray! I just think that is not a cool thing to do for a manufacturer. Like I said, we can make it work just fine, but the burden should not be on everyone but Hornady. What happened to standards? I still am not convinced it was intentional on their part either; but maybe it was? Like I said, my 284's are a little under if anything.....Rich

I know you are not blaming me Rich :). I called Hornady again this morning and was not satisfied with the answer I got. I was told the major diameter was well within Sami specifications.

I encourage people interested in the ELD-X bullets to contact Hornady yourself and draw your own conclusion. Hornady: 800 338-3220 I spoke with Doug in Tech Support.

Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.