How Close is Too Close????

fullsizeoutput_95b.jpeg

Emailed EGW this morning and sent photos...they called it right away. When I had ER Shaw D&T the receiver I sent the three hole one piece Leupold base and they drilled the receiver to fit...just as I ask them to do. If they had drilled it 1/16th of an inch forward it would have cleared. There was room to go forward enough plus a tiny bit.

So it boils down to being my fault!

The barrel was hitting the scope...both have slight marks from the contact. So I had to do something...I've had some issues with two Leupold bases 6.5-06 Mauser build and 300 WSM Savage...The Savage is going to get new bases and rings.

doug...what caliber is the bolt gun? Mine might have been a closer...maybe...I couldn't slide anything between them, I have more room between the stock and barrel than scope and barrel.

Emailed EGW this morning and sent photos...they called it right away. When I had ER Shaw D&T the receiver I sent the three hole one piece Leupold base and they drilled the receiver to fit...just as I ask them to do. If they had drilled it 1/16th of an inch forward it would have cleared. There was room to go forward enough plus a tiny bit.

So it boils down to being my fault!

The barrel was hitting the scope...both have slight marks from the contact. So I had to do something...I've had some issues with two Leupold bases 6.5-06 Mauser build and 300 WSM Savage...The Savage is going to get new bases and rings.
Did you ask them if they could make you a custom base that will fit? They might could...

doug...what caliber is the bolt gun? Mine might have been a closer...maybe...I couldn't slide anything between them, I have more room between the stock and barrel than scope and barrel.
Both are actually bolt rifles. The one with the Athelon scope is a 1967 Remington 788 in 22-250, and the one with the Burris scope is a Ruger RPR in 6.5 Creedmore on a 20 MOA rail.

Last edited:
IMG_7557.JPG
Even as low as I had the Athalon scope, I still couldn't get it low enough for the correct cheek height and ended up re-doing it and adding a Kydex cheek rest. This was the final outcome.

Last edited:
I actually ended up milling out and re-bluing the center section of the base to get the turret block to clear
IMG_7539.JPG

Did you ask them if they could make you a custom base that will fit? They might could...
Oh...to answer your earlier question. I used a commercial Mark X bolt so it would be stronger than a military bolt. So it was an unaltered bolt.

No I didn't...I guess I should have.

I ended up cutting a small notch in the base that follows the contour of the edge the bolt rides against when you open the bolt. It was not even half the width of the base.

Last edited:
300 finished_sm.jpg

Here is the rifle with the new base, but now it's too high. I'm ordering some lower Vortex 30mm rings...

I'll get it right one day...doesn't matter all the shooting ranges are all flooded from Hurricane Harvey.

You're on the right path ! I learned years ago to not be a penny pincher when it comes to mounts and rings. You don't need $500 , but you need more than Loopy STD junk costs .

View attachment 80565

Here is the rifle with the new base, but now it's too high. I'm ordering some lower Vortex 30mm rings...

I'll get it right one day...doesn't matter all the shooting ranges are all flooded from Hurricane Harvey.
The Vortex rings that are $130, are actually made by Seekins Precision for Vortex. The Seekins low rings are actually slightly lower than the Vortex brand rings, which is weird. But just figured I'd throw out that bit of info.

The Seekins Lows are 0.82" in height...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/855391/seekins-precision-30mm-picatinny-style-rings-matte

And the Vortex Low rings made by Seekins are 0.87"

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...precision-matched-picatinny-style-rings-matte

The Vortex rings that are $130, are actually made by Seekins Precision for Vortex. The Seekins low rings are actually slightly lower than the Vortex brand rings, which is weird. But just figured I'd throw out that bit of info.

The Seekins Lows are 0.82" in height...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/855391/seekins-precision-30mm-picatinny-style-rings-matte

And the Vortex Low rings made by Seekins are 0.87"

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...precision-matched-picatinny-style-rings-matte
Nothing wrong with choices!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.