Cleaning Question

JP Hunter

How long should it take to clean out the led and copper. I worked 6hrs the last two days on. I'm using Hoppes for the led and barnes for copper. I searched on here but didn't fined any thing. I use the metal brush with the hoppes and a nylon brush with the barnes. I'm getting a lot of led fouling out. The gun only has 100 round threw it.

I first push a wet patch of hoppes threw the 15 brush strokes. I do this tell I get nothing out Right? Then use the barnes and remove the copper?

The guy at the gun shop said that the gun was vary dirty and could be causing the bad groups out of my 300rum 700. It's all stock so that could be it too. But factory ammo shot good once.

Thanks for the help.gun)

You shouldn't have any lead in your rifle barrel. I dont know of any lead rifle bullets that aren't jacketed that you would be shooting out off your rilfe. You want to get the copper and carbon fouling out. There are a couple of ways to go about that. I use Bore Tech Eliminaor and Wipeout. For bad fouling with Bore Tech I will take about 3 soaked patches and push them through soaknig the bore, then I take a nylon brush and stroke it about 5 times each way, then let it sit for about 20 min. Then dry patch until all the cleaning agent is gone and then repeat until I get white patches. Wipeout is another less labor intensive way. Spray it in and let your bore soak up to 8 hours then patch it out. It's very effective but with badly fouled bores it may take numerous applications.

Just this last week I spent 5 days cleaning out a used Sendero 25-06. The first days Iused Bore Tech for a few hours just wet patching through, no brushes. A lot of copper and carbon came out. Then I started the Wipeout soaking treatments. I did that for 4 days straight including soaking over night. Then I went back to the Bore Tech and started using the brush. After a few hours of that the patches finally started coming out just a little grayish. With all the cleaning it needed I decided to take it to get bore scoped. It turned out that the barrel was badly fire cracked. all the cracks were collecting fouling and it took a LONG time to get it out. If yours takes a very long time to clean, you might get it scoped to see what condition the bore is in, especially with a 300 RUM if you've fired it hot much.

I dont think Hoppe's is near as good a cleaner as Bore Tech Eleiminator. Wipeout. And if you use bronze brushes and brass jags with a powerful copper romover you will get the blue patch copper indication from the brushes and jags. If you use brushes, use nylon brushes and nickel plated jags.

Hope this helps,

-MR

Last edited:
For the really bad fouled bore I use sweets .

It is very high in ammonia and will eat up brushes fast but will clean fast also. (Caution ; do not
leave it in the bore for more than about 30 minutes)

Also you may have to break the barrel in once you get it clean by the shoot and clean every
round method before it will stop fouling badly.

The last step would be to have it hand lapped.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the help guys. Yes I meant to say powder fouling. Ned to see if I can fined some Bore tech and Wipeout. And do use a nylon brush for with the copper remover thanks for checking.:)

Do you think 3 shots back to back will make the barrel too hot and cause problems. I have only shot 100 rounds +sum using a suggested barrel brake in procedure form one of you and it seamed to work. I just hope I can pull this gun and reloads together for my elk hunt in Oct. May have to stop by Cabela's and pick up some ammo. Think I may have to bring the old 30-06 and just be more conservative.

Before I started reloading I was getting 3.5 inch groups at 300yd from a good rest. The last load I shot was 87gr of RE22 with Burgers 210VLD's and had a 5 inch group at 200 yds. I just hope that a clean gun will shoot it better. The VLD's are all I have for now. All the shops in town are out of everything.

What are Jags? I push the patches threw with a plug that you rap a patch around, is that a jag.gun)

I wouldn't do 3 shots back to back too often out of an over bore cartridge like a 300 RUM. Occasionaly to check my rapid fire accuracy but that's all. Shooting your barrel hot will fire crack the throat and bore.

To correct something I said in the last post... you can use brass jags with Wipeout because you are only dry patching to remove the Wipeout. Wet patches on a brass jag with a powerful copper solvent will eat the jag and turn the patch blue.

Hope you gat your accuracy back. let us know what happens.

-MR

Thanks MR,

How will you know if your barrel is fire cracked. Will accuracy go out the window right away? Hope this new be to mags didn't make a $400 mistake :rolleyes:. Do I need a borescope to tell if it is fire cracked. I think the gun shop has one. Guise I may be getting that new barrel sooner than I planed.:D

So do you shoot one shot and weight 10 minutes then fire? I've been using a stainless jags for the patches.

Thank, JP

JP, a bore scope is the only way you can tell the condition of your bore. You might have some slight throat erosion and fire craking or maybe just a rough bore.

I usually wait long enough for the barrel to cool enough that I can barely detect any more heat than air temp, however long it takes. On cool days it cools faster. Try to keep it in the shade especially while cooling and keep the bolt open.

I just got back from the range where I was breakign in a coupel of used Senderos I got. A 300 RUM and a 26-06.

The RUM had 26 rounds through it when I started the break-in with Gun Juice. It fouls pretty bad. It's been taking me about an hour to clean all the copper out between shots with Bore Tech and I only got 4 shots through it in 5 hours by the time I left so more to go. Hopefully I can eliminate the fouling or get it way down.

The 25-06 I got from a guy who got it from someone else who said he thought it might have about 200 rounds down the tube. I took it straight out to fire a group to check velocity and accuracy before cleaning it and starting the break-in. I shot a .24" 3 shot group and the fourth took it out to .45 under less than ideal conditions and this with factory ammo It took me 5 days to get that bore clean using Bore Tech and Wipeout. Since it took so long cleaning I decided to have it scoped and the bore is totally fire cracked from throat to muzzle. The Smith was surprised I could hit anything. I'm figuring I'llneed a new barrel sometime but I decided to to break it in with some Gun Juice anyway. I decided to partial cleean between shots so some fouling would fill the cracks and the Gun juice would seal it in. The rifle shot very well with all that fouling in the first place so I decided to seal in the fouling and see what would happen. Nothing to loose. So far so good... I shot a .4" 3 shot group in 20-30 mph crosswinds during the process. This fire cracked tube is still driving tacks. Break-in still in progress.

MR,

Let us know what you think of the Gun Juice treatment after you're finished.

I've treated about 6 barrels so far and they all cleaned much easier as the treatment process continued. I had one bore that was copper fouling pretty badly. It still copper fouls but only about 5% of what it used to. The other 5 don't really copper foul much at all. Some of my barrels were custom and they never coppered up much to start with. But the Gun Juice still seems to seal off the bore with some type of coating and the clean up slicker than snot. I don't worry to much about cleaning them during my hunting season so I don't have to worry about clean bore shots hitting differently than the fouled bore shot, and I don't worry too much about any corrosion since my barrels are stainless and sealed with the Juice.

It is a PITA to Gun Juice treat the bores, but I like the Gun Juice much better than the Ultra Bore Coat product that I tried. In fact, the Ultra Bore Coat I received was either defective product or the stuff simply doesn't work. I ended up treating the Ultra Bore Coat treated bores with Gun Juice and there was a big improvement in reduced fouling and ease of cleaning. My experience with Ultra Bore Coat wasn't good. I couldn't tell it did anything other than cost me money.

Last edited:
One other item that helps quite a bit when cleaning a barrel, clean it at the range. The heat in the barrel after a fired round will help the chemicals you are using to clean a little deeper and quicker.

I use a bore scope and if the fouling has built up which in 95% of the rifles it has use IOSSO. Follow the directions and it will be clean down to the metal...

1 bore scope is worth a 1000 expert opinions...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.