Christmas Has come early

hypersonic

Finally...…………………… I almost gave up hope but Yesterday I got my hands on some Laupa 260 Rem brass. Been running around all silly and happy ever since :);)o_O. Have a special season here in December I started applying for 9 years ago and finally got drawn this year. Considering its rolling country and has to be on foot I will be taking my 260 mountain nice and light and reliable old girl.
Now just need to work up a non lead ( yup that's sucks) load. I do not expect anything really long as far as range goes say 350 perhaps 400 and probably closer. I know not purely long range which is the heart of this forum but Its what I will be working with.

Hopefully I will be able to run a load work up on here ect and have a bit of fun with the whole process while gaining some more lead free experience which sadly seems the way of the future. I have not hunted since 2015 and just got back to shooting this spring so still need some trigger time but I don't suck making hits LOL. Big Mule bucks can be had if you can get to them and I figure I am now physically capable again to do it right and do it hard.

Well time to start priming some of that sexy brass.

Hype

We are defiantly in the lead free business and would love to be part of your journey. I believe we make the best hunting bullet on the market, lead or not.

Let me know if we can help.

Steve

Well shipping across the border here to canuck "ick" stan is probably going to be nothing less than problematic with the current temper tantrums going on back and forth.I do appreciate the offer though and was snooping on your site ….. nice bullets and also nice forward thinking design.

On a happier note 100 pcs of brass weighted .5 grains spread highest to lowest very impressive. I was playing with supeformance back in 2015 and the accuracy and velocity was stellar with 100-120 class bullets and both a whitetail and mule doe succumbed to the bang flop effect of that sweet 120 ballistic tip. Hopefully I can find that data again. I do remember that the superformance gave a lot less barrel heat than my old standards of H-4350 and H-4831 and the speeds were something like 150 to 200 fps faster with similar charge weights and no compression where the other two were both jammed in pretty good compression wise.

Hype

I have a fantastic .260 Rem and 6.5 SLR load using the 127 LRX, but I would love to try the Hammer bullets in the future.

My 14 year old daughter took a good mule deer buck @ 637 with the 127 LRX load @ 3050fps. Buck hit the dirt at the shot and didn't even flinch afterwards.

6.5 SLR
Rem R-P brass
43.0gr H4350
Fed GM210M
127 LRX
.050" jump
2.188" CBTO (IIRC)
3050fps

.260 Rem
Lapua brass
Fed GM210M
42.5gr H4350
127 LRX
.040" jump
2.202" CBTO
3010fps

If your 260 rem mountain rifle has 1 in 9 rifling the 127 LRX may not work I could not get them to stabilize in a 1 in 9 at sea level. The 120 TSX has been pretty stellar on deer with 43 gr H4350 had better accuracy with Rem 9.5's than 210M's.

Have not tried superformance what was your load with that for 200 FPS might be worth a try?

The 120 NBT is a good choice.

Good luck and shoot straight

Yes in the states no problem easy as buying a candy bar. I am not in the states and in the current political situation not to mention a gun hating liberal fed govt getting brass shipped up here as a private citizen is not easy and even not a cake walk for gun shops which are getting hit with new regs and being strangled buy new legislation which we are calling the " shadow registry" the original one is gone thanks to the previous conservative gov but the one these commies will slide in bit by bit will make it look like a registry for cap guns and fire crackers.

Ahhh, I assumed you were here in the states. I take it you're in Canada?

Yeah, yall need to vote out the insane lefties, or you'll end up with your own firearms version of Krystallnacht by the government.

If your 260 rem mountain rifle has 1 in 9 rifling the 127 LRX may not work I could not get them to stabilize in a 1 in 9 at sea level. The 120 TSX has been pretty stellar on deer with 43 gr H4350 had better accuracy with Rem 9.5's than 210M's.

Have not tried superformance what was your load with that for 200 FPS might be worth a try?

The 120 NBT is a good choice.

Good luck and shoot straight

Yeah 9 twist so everything from 95's up to 130's have been good
100 barnes and 120 barnes also shoot very well just as good as the same weight ballistic tips the 125 partition also very good shooter same as the 130 ab.
I am going to play with the 100 and 120 TTSX over SF I have killed big mule deer and big whitetails with 100 grain b tips and 120 b tips without issues killed black bears moose and elk with the 125 partitions with out issues.
Altitude will be in the 2200 to 3000 foot range but temps will probably be close to 30 below zero so the 127 is for sure a no go. I really need an 8 twist 260 to play with someday.

I will start playing with the 100 and 120 barnes and go from there.

@scottishkat here is what I was doing with SF

the brass was old virgin Winchester 243 resized which leaves you a few thou short of trim of book trim length. CCI 200 primers
100 btips 50 grains SF
120 btips 48 grains SF
I believe I could have worked up a bit higher for both and will really see now what I can get up to safely.
Speeds I can not remember but I do have them logged somewhere just have to find them after a couple of years being away from everything. There was no data when I started so I used the burn rate chart and h4831 as they are side by side and worked up I also referenced creed data for same bullet weights as case capacity for the two is a wash different dimensions yeah but capacity almost identical.
Hopefully I will have some test loads worked up for the weekend and see how it goes.
With Lapua brass I am going to be lower on charge weights for sure than win brass so a full rework for this feller.

Hype

Last edited:
Just finished measuring capacity virgin of win 243 brass necked up and the new lapua I just picked up. I am somewhat surprised at how little difference I got between the two. The win brass I bought about 15 years ago when win brass was typically decent for the price. I figured the internal capacity would be skewed towards the Win brass being lighter but well 1.6 grains is not a silly huge spread.

I filled both cases with superformance to the top as full as can be carded them off so they were level with the neck and weighed the powder charges.

Lapua 56.1 grains
Win 57.7 grains
No not a scientific test but something to give me a general idea of what I am working with for starting charges in the lapua brass. I did find 200 Barnes 100 grain TTSX's at a small gun shop an hour from home so I grabbed them all. I will start with these and look for some 120's but if the 100's shoot fast and accurate I might just stick with them regardless as I have no doubt they will flatten any big buck at the ranges I will probably get and me doing my part on the back end. I will have my 280 with me as back up so if the deer are going to be less than cooperative on distance they might just get a 145 Barnes Lrx instead.
Hopefully the weather this weekend is dry so I can get some shooting in.

Hype

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.