Choosing a custom Rifle Maker

I'm on my second build. I went into the first one blind. I did my research and chose a smith. When I received the rifle I was disappointed in the finish and the overall experience. I agree with DBhunter, make sure that your smith will finish the stock to metal. Mine didn't. When spending $3000 or more you expect attention to detail. Pick a smith that you can talk to and is willing to answer all of your questions in detail. For this build I'm going with Chad Dixon aka Nesikachad on this site. I've spoken with Chad numerous times over the last eight months while waiting for parts to come in, and he is always more then willing to answer my questions in more detail then I can understand. Check out his posts in the gunsmithing forum.
Wes

I'm on my second build. I went into the first one blind. I did my research and chose a smith. When I received the rifle I was disappointed in the finish and the overall experience. I agree with DBhunter, make sure that your smith will finish the stock to metal. Mine didn't. When spending $3000 or more you expect attention to detail. Pick a smith that you can talk to and is willing to answer all of your questions in detail. For this build I'm going with Chad Dixon aka Nesikachad on this site. I've spoken with Chad numerous times over the last eight months while waiting for parts to come in, and he is always more then willing to answer my questions in more detail then I can understand. Check out his posts in the gunsmithing forum.
Wes

Is this normal? Or was he just scammed. Would there ever be a reason to have a smith build a gun that is not ready to have a scope mounted on it, and be shot?

Hello All, I would give another kudos to Shawn Carlock. He built me a Long Range Stalker in .338 edge. The rifle is put together with an eye to detail and is capable of shooting much better than I can utilize at this time. This rifle arrived ready to shoot with the target Shawn used to test it. Good Luck and enjoy. :)

Peashooter

Add Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles.

A good smith will teach you and make you understand anything you don't know before just taking your money. Ask him a question he will do his absolute best to give you an answer and be sure you understand. I associated with some smiths that was not even interested in dealing with me unless I was building a new rifle. Kevin helped me allot before he even knew I was building a rifle. I started asking questions about guns and LRH long before I dropped the lets build a gun statement. He never hesistated to help me out or talk about things.

As stated above there is allot of smiths on here that copuld help you out.

Kevin builds my guns and will continue to do so for a very very long time :)

+1.... Kevin is currently building my next custom rifle.

Montour County Rifles

Add Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles.

A good smith will teach you and make you understand anything you don't know before just taking your money. Ask him a question he will do his absolute best to give you an answer and be sure you understand. I associated with some smiths that was not even interested in dealing with me unless I was building a new rifle. Kevin helped me allot before he even knew I was building a rifle. I started asking questions about guns and LRH long before I dropped the lets build a gun statement. He never hesistated to help me out or talk about things.

As stated above there is allot of smiths on here that copuld help you out.

Kevin builds my guns and will continue to do so for a very very long time :)

+2. Kevin has mine right now and it's gonna be bad ***. I talked to a lot of riflebuilders and all were very knowledgable. Kevin had a lot of patience for my newbie questions and explained everything I needed to know.

Sounds to me that most if not all are happy with the customs that they have had built. Yet another reason to take the plunge lightbulb. Sounds like I have some calling to do. Thanks a bunch.

Also something to keep in mind---not to take away anything form anyone here but some if not the very best builders do not do the internet "Forum" thing. Just something to keep in mind when you are doing your due diligence.

Alot of our competitive shooters on the range and Black Hills Hunters are raving about Chad Dixon - He's a frequent on the Gunsmitting forum as NesikaChad and more can be found about his work at http://www.longriflesinc.com/ .

There's personalized service behind this guy and he'll produce a product that you'll be able to rely on every time.

Last edited:
I don't know if Josh Woods has restarted his business since he returned from his tour in Afghanistan or not (24 years active army as a combat engineer), but he makes one fine custom rifle. I would add him to people to consider. He built me a rifle several years ago that I have used to take elk, mule deer and whitetails with great success. I can cover a 5 shot group at 300 yards with a quarter off a bench with it. He lives in California, Missouri and used to have a website.

My advice is to contact Screech here on this board. He was trained by one of the best builders and Shooters on the Planet Speedy Gonzalez and has built a rifle for me. He is young and talented and very detail oriented plus knows how to build an extremely accurate rifle.

You will not be able to get Speedy to build a rifle for you but his protégé will and can.

I will jump on board, Kevin is currently building me one also. I can't wait til it's finished.

Kirby Allen is currently doing my first custom. Very informative and a straight shooter!!! (pun intended). Has a great reputation on this site and I have read nothing but rave reviews about his work!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.