Choosing a long range rifle

Maybe it's particular to California and the limits number of pawn shops I go to but I NEVER see used Remingtons for sale at gun or pawn shops. They must get snatched up pretty quick.

Good luck.

I also went with the 7mm RM with the intention of sheep hunting here in Hawaii, but so far have only used it on pigs (works great on them though). I went with a Savage 116. I don't think you can go wrong with a Sendero or any 700 for that matter. My hunting buddy uses a Remington 700 in 30-06. I prefer my Savage, but they both get the job done and didn't cost an arms and a leg. If price is no object you should definitely go custom. Most of us are on some sort of budget however, and I think you're better off spending the extra money on quality glass.

Maybe it's particular to California and the limits number of pawn shops I go to but I NEVER see used Remingtons for sale at gun or pawn shops. They must get snatched up pretty quick.

Good luck.

Probably because a-holes, like me, go digging and scrounging and snatch them up. :D

The three Remington 700's I load for are all more accurate than I am. One BDL, one ADL and an SPS. basic bedding jobs, free float barrels and trigger tune. I'd say get a basic gun and do a little garage gun smithing and see what she does you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm more interested in accuracy from field positions than squeezing a last 0.1" out of a group from the bench. Ymmv.

Ps - two of those guns are 7mm Rem Mags that are intended for the exact ranges you mentioned.
I have a Rem 700 ADL in 7MM REM MAG. The kick is punishing. Have you any experience in decreasing the kick w/o compromising accuracy?

Great choice. I doubt you'll be dissapointed. You'll love the 7mm Rem Mag and I think it's a perfect magnum to develop long range shooting with and most likely will do anything you ask of it in the field.
Hi. I also shoot a 7mm Rem Mag, but the recoil is painful. Do toy have any advice for me?

When the military folks were testing rifles for their latest sniper weapon, the .300 Win. Mag. shot the most accurate through 1500 yards. But the US Army was addicted to the .338 Lapua Mag and could not reason that its inferior performance meant the snipers who used it were handicapped.

Note that the more recoil a rifle has while the bullet's going down the barrel, the harder it is to shoot accurately. So, I'd suggest using one of the 30 caliber rounds without a belt as belted cases are a nusiance to reload for best accuracy. The .300 RUM and WSM rounds are good enough.

You'll do best by not using actions having a round receiver. Heavy recoiling rifles tend to twist them out of perfect epoxy bedding after a couple hundred shots. Use a receiver with flat sides and bottom; Win. 70's are excellent. However, folks who don't shoot too well may never observe the difference between these two receiver types.

Does anyone use pencil barrel rifles for long range work? When I owned this M77 MkII 300 WM before, I got my groups down to 0.442" at 100 yards with my handloads using 180 Accubonds(sadly my notes got lost with the ex wife). But as I got the rifle back from my favorite uncle when cancer snuck up on him, I feel like I should do something awesome with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.