Seeking Custom Rifle Makers

civicman

I was wondering if anyone could help me get in contact with someone. I have searched the internet for hours and have found little of what I want. I am looking to have built a custom long range rifle suited more towards target shooting than anything else. I am looking for something based on a .300 Remington Ultra Mag, 32-34" barrel with a muzzle brake, McMillan (or equiv) stock, Jewel Trigger, etc. If anyone could help me it would be most appreciated since there is no one in my area that can do something like this. Also reccomendations on parts are welcome too. Thanks!

You might try the website for sst.benchrest.com they have lots of barrel makers and smiths etc. or looking over some competition results. They often have the gunsmiths name that put the rifle together.

I can think of a couple of accuracy smiths that you would probably like dealing with, and would be happy talking with.
Try Mike Bryant or Gre-tan rifles.

[ 10-08-2004: Message edited by: StrayDog ]

Call Chris Matthews of LongShot Rifles at 816-820-5129.

He has done several recent projects for me. The latest one I shot for the first time this afternoon. I had him re-barrel a rifle he built for me some months ago. That rifle shot very well and I just this week had him put a shorter, lighter barrel on it.

So this afternoon I first fired about ten rounds as I worked up to a safe max velocity. Then I cleaned it and shot 3 fouling rounds. After that my second variant of powder weight resulted in a 3-shot, 100 yard group of 3/8 inches. I then fired at my 500 and 700 yard targets where I got 1/3 moa vertical groups in a switching wind.

[ 10-08-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Go over to benchrest.com and they have a forum for 1000yd and and they could give you a whole list of gunsmith. Tooley Custom guns and Bill Shehane of D$B Supply both have web pages plus Gen-Tan rifles these guys also shoot at the 1000yd matchs. Good luck.

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I guess tonight will be spent finding the right gunsmith. Thanks again!

MY NAME IS SHAWN CARLOCK I OWN DEFENSIVE EDGE INC. CUSTOM GUNSMITHING AND TACTICAL TRAINING. MY OPINION OF MY WORK IS SOMEWHAT BIAS OF COURSE. I HAVE HAD A COUPLE OF PRECISION RIFLES IN MAGAZINES THE LATEST THE 2002 OCTOBER ISSUE OF THE ACCURATE RIFLE ON THE 338 EDGE. A COPY OF THIS ARTICLE WRITTEN BY JACOB GOTTFREDSON IS POSTED AT SNIPERS PARADISE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CONTACT ME AT:

DEFENSIVE EDGE
15670 N RANCH VALLEY RD.
RATHDRUM ID. 83858
1-208-687-5646
[email protected]

I would steer you to Tooley Custom Rifles. I had him build me a bench gun in 6PPC, with a Batt action. On par with anything I ever seen on the firing line. His 1000 yard guns are tops as well. He has a wealth of info and is has very reasonable prices. I feel we as shooters have never lived in a more exciting time, with all the talented gunsmiths to choose from. You will get every pennys worth from anyone of them. Find one who you can explain what you want, and then listen, alot! Keep us all posted, Jason

I'm just curious, how long was your rifle at Tooley's?

I share your opinion that he is good, that's why I sent him a project, but he has had it for a long time.

You might want to try Shane Thompson of Soda Springs, Idaho. He just finished a 300RUM, that I had built for my son-in-law on a Nesika action, McMillan stock, Lilja barrel, Jewel trigger. The rifle is exceptionally done and is a tack driver. Shanes work was featured in Rifle magazine a year or so ago.

civicman

you did not say where you are located in US.

Here on East coast there are several good smiths that specialize in LR guns.

John Myer at Custom Gunsmithing (listed as preferred gunsmith at 6mmbr.com). Prices and times are reasonable, and first quality rigs. He builds all mine.

Clay Spencer is top notch also (BR central advertiser)

Dave Tooley and Leonard Baity (Baity Custom Gunworks (336) 667-8785 ) are both in NC.

Bruce Baer in PA (717) 349-4077 is another.

My suggestion is to call and talk to each of them and get your own feel for prices and times etc.

Guarantee any of the above will build a top notch gun!!

BH

Get Leonard Baity to build you a 300 Ackley on a Remington 700 action.His turn-around times are 10 months or less and his winners list speaks for itself.The gun is easy to load for and dies are readily available.Accuracy wise of the top 10 finishers in 1000 yard shooting 7 used it including the top 3.
Lynn

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.