Chest pack

cohunt

I'm looking for a small chest pack that I can use for carrying items up a ladder.

I want to carry things like a chipping hammer, small wrenches, a battery powered 4.5" grinder, a small flat piece of 1/4" thick steel. This is for carrying items while climbing a ladder, then i could tie off and grind/weld/repair etc. A leather pack would be a bonus but im open to options.

Anyone have any ideas? I can find small fly-fishing packs, holsters, handheld radio packs, etc-- but they are all really small.

I'm a mechanic by trade.
i use a tool belt on my hip, when on a ladder I swing the pouch to my front to access items safely.

I'm a mechanic by trade.
i use a tool belt on my hip, when on a ladder I swing the pouch to my front to access items safely.
Thanks for the idea, unfortunately my *** and hips are so thin that I can't carry much weight on a belt or it slips down-- suspenders help but that prevents me from swinging the pouch from side to front when needed.

Years ago my buddy's mom made us some chest pouches that she copied from VC chest mag pouches that his dad brought back from Nam. I think the originals held 4 ak mags. Ours held 25 rnd 10/22 clips and an extra Velcro pouch. Ours were denim.

Maybe find someone handy with sewing and come up with a pattern that will do exactly what you want.

Do you were a climbing/positioning harness when working at height? We have side pouches and "gut sacks/grunt bags" that clip off to our harnesses too.
20200627_164915.jpg

Do you were a climbing/positioning harness when working at height? We have side pouches and "gut sacks/grunt bags" that clip off to our harnesses too.
View attachment 235675
We wear 5 point fall harness- FR rated nomex ( for welding/ sparks etc) but they don't have the nice "seat" to actually hang from-- they are just the "safety harness" type not the working type so I can't hang from it or it starts to cut off circulation quickly.

One of my issues is we are often in very tight/confined spaces so I need something that stays close to my body- that's why I was looking for a chest pack is I would always be able to access it easily.

What about a plate carrier with some molle you can add pouches as needed, or attach carabiners to easily? Like the military body armor vest type? Put your steel in the plate pocket?
Something similar to this?
8923.jpg

We have looked into these too.
1138344040.jpg

Screenshot_20201224-074834_Chrome.jpg

Unfortunately its going to have to be leather, we have very strict safety procedures and it has to be FR rated, or leather would be ok too-- I know, I'm probably S out of luck as this really limits my options.
Right now I'm having to climb the ladder, then raise my tools, steel etc by rope/bucket-- some places I'm in, this is extremely difficult due to the tight/confined space limitations.

This is all a recent job change for me ( maintenance/welder title for a large corperation) so I'm still learning the new companies "policy limitations" and trying to come up with workable options-- large corporations have quite a few "safety" procedures that have good intentions but also limitations when a desk jocky makes the policies . They want work done, things fixed but lots of "safety policy" limitations -- its frustrating

Last edited:
Do you have a local custom holster maker? We have a guy here that will make custom rigs (specializing in shoulder/chest for big guns) Someone like that would probably be able to help you make exactly what you need.

Do you have a local custom holster maker? We have a guy here that will make custom rigs (specializing in shoulder/chest for big guns) Someone like that would probably be able to help you make exactly what you need.
We have local leather saddle makers, but I've already spoke to them and they aren't interested

You might look at occidentail,they make nice leather bags and various holders.Maybe get some small holder then rig on there suspender belt combo. Thinking off the chest strap.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.