Cheap 338 Lapua Reloads

barnesuser28

ok i know that there is no such thing as "cheap" 338 Lapua reloads but my goal for this summer is to kill a prairie dog at 1000 yards with one. I would like to use 285 grain hornady bthp bullets since i have some but would consider some other accurate, cheap, high b.c bullets. Any thoughts?

I will probably end up buying some 300 grain matchkings but i am afraid they will pencil through at 1000 yards

do the hornadys have thinner jackets than the matchkings?

anybody have any good loads with retumbo or H1000 for the 285 grain hornadys?

The Hornady 285,300 SMK,and 300 Berger OTM. are all similar design and construction.And designated '' match'' bullets. Shoot what you have,shoot them with a 243@ 1000 if you want to save$$. There are cut away pictures on here somewhere of berger and smk,think Shawn C. had them posted at one time.

I think all those heavy 338 bullets will pencil through a tiny target like a prairie dog. Are you concerned with the bullet richocheting? If you hit the P dog it is going to die.

I think you will want your very best load to hit a PD at a grand. I was spotting for Joe when he took this gopher. Note the wind moving the steel target. The gopher was hit with a 300 SMK and we still had to track him about 5 or 6 feet. :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTDypg4OAFA]1000 gopher.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts