changing bullets, where to start

rocky_lange

My sweet spot for 168 Berger VLDs is at 3450-3500 fps. I want to start loading for 240 SMKs. Speaking strictly from a barrel harmonics point of view, should my accuracy be best if I can push them at the same speed (not that it will be safely possible)? Or does the increased pressure required affect the sweet spot?

I know that I didn't give chambering, barrel length or twist, but that knowledge shouldn't be needed to answer my question.

Rocky

My sweet spot for 168 Berger VLDs is at 3450-3500 fps. I want to start loading for 240 SMKs. Speaking strictly from a barrel harmonics point of view, should my accuracy be best if I can push them at the same speed (not that it will be safely possible)? Or does the increased pressure required affect the sweet spot?

I know that I didn't give chambering, barrel length or twist, but that knowledge shouldn't be needed to answer my question.

Rocky

Well, the answer is pretty simple. It depends on what your gun likes. I don't know what you're shooting, but I highly doubt you can run the 240s at the same speed you can the 168s.

I'll tell you "sweet spot" isn't always, in fact in my experience, is never about velocity alone. My 300Winnie is a prime example. Worked up 2 sets of loads. Same 180gr Hornady bullet, same brass, same primers same seating depth. 74grs of R-19 gave 3150fps. 76grs of R-22 gave 3150 fps. The R-22 gave 2.5"-3" groups, but the R-19 gave 3/4" groups. Same bullet, same speed, totally different results. I've had numerous times that same scenario played out with the same bullet at nearly the same speed, liking one powder over another. Such is reloading and the way things go. Some things about guns and reloading just can't really be explained completely.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.