Chambering a barrel for Barnes LRX bullets

owlcreekmuley

How would you go about chambering a new barrel designed to shoot barnes LRX bullets? Understanding that barnes bullets like "jump" would you load the round out as long as the magazine allows and then chamber a little long to adjust for jump or would it be better cut a tighter chamber to exact specs and load the barnes bullet a little deeper for jump? BTW, this would be for a non weatherby round - standard cartridge.

This week I worked on over all length using LRX bullets. I shot groups by starting out touching the lands and going back by several thousandths. The best groups came between -.120" and -.150". Last year I did the same thing and ended up with the best length at .180". You probably don't need to give it any concern.

It might be worth considering, I have some 7mm 168 LRX (that I haven't loaded for yet). They are just massive, something like 1.6" long. I only have 0.07" from SAAMI 3.330 OAL, to just touching the lands. But my 168 grn Bergers are seated fairly long. I had my barrel throated for the Bergers, I just wanted to be able to use the Barns as well.

Anyway, I guess it depends on what bullet you are talking about. You might be fine with an SAAMI chamber, but if your looking at one of the longer bullets you might want to think about a bit more throat.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.