Chamber dimensions preferred by PRS shooters

rustyshackleford

I'm trying to put together a rifle for longer range shooting and maybe the occasional PRS shoot. I have a remington 700 sps tactical in an XLR Element chassis with an IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP. I'm looking to re barrel now and I know the pros and cons of shooting the 308 against 6.5's and 6mm's but I would like to stick with this caliber. I'm pretty well settled in on a Brux barrel with an 11.25 twist in medium palma contour. The only thing I'm really unsure of is what chamber reamer I should request for the chamber. My smith keeps telling me he cuts all of his the same and it shouldn't pose a problem but he is a true BR guy. He said I should sell my scope and get a leupold with 1/8th adjustments if that tells you anything. Any input is welcome but I'm mostly wondering about the chamber. BTW I plan on shooting either the Hornady 178 bthp or the berger 185's if all goes well.

Thanks Kaleb

Over at Sniper'sHide, you could seek someone who doesn't take care of his equipment & find out from them what clearances should be.
But for LR precision, you actually need precision. Your gunsmith may be trying to help you get whatever you're asking for(performance-wise). And nothing is free.

When I had HS Precision make me a rifle on my Remington stainless long action I specified, "Make the chamber to the absolute minimum SAAMI dimensions." This gave me a fairly tight chamber that would still swallow factory loads.

Now HS Precision uses my sentence in their advertising.("Chambered to absolute minimum SAAMI specs.") Guess they liked my thinking.

If you get that done I think you'll be happy.

BTW, As for twist, if you are going to shoot mainly heavier bullets that faster twist (faster than 1 in 12") will help. Personally I'd just go with 1 in 11".

Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure about the min spec. My smith was acting like factory loads wouldn't fit and there just might be some neck turning in order. I just wanted to make sure gold medal match would still fit. Bounty hunter what did you mean by 18th to 21st?

Tight chamber does not mean good all the time, PSR is not done from a bench under shade, you'll be moving and demanding the rifle to function while exposed to the environment. You may sacrifice a small amount of precision for a large amount of functionality, I would personally find a gunsmith that understands what your asking of your rifle or you run a serious chance of not getting the correct tool for the task at hand!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.