338 Rum Chamber dimensions

D.Camilleri

Can anyone tell me how much free bore a 338 Rum should have? I know some friends that are able to touch the lands with their bullets and still fit the shells in the magazine, but I am still .090 away from the lands with the bullets maxxed out for the magazine.

Can anyone provide all of the chamber dimensions for this caliber? I am thinking of making a casting to check my dimensions.

Thanks for the help

Only a chamber casting or contacting your gunsmith for the reamer specs is going to give you the chamber dimensions for your gun,the latter probably being the easiest.
One thing you might want to consider for guns or calibers you know your going to keep and rebarrel is to spec and buy your own reamer,this way you know what you have and are going to have with any rebarrel job.If you dont feel comfortable ordering a reamer to your specs,contact any of the reamer manufacturers and they'll help make what your wanting (usually a dummy round with the case and seated bullet your wanting to use sent to them).Theres no better way to get and keep the same chamber when its time to rebarrel or build another gun.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.