Cerakoting a scope (??)

Litehiker

I'd like to Cerakote my Bushnell LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope with the ELITE type coating. Does it absolutely HAVE to go through the cureing oven? If so is is safe for scopes to be subjected to that level of heat? I'm concerned about O-rings, etc.

Eric B.

Also think of putting it in the sun on a hot summer day it's no different than a day at the range in the sun I don't think it would hurt your warranty and would help it dry even better they say with the bake on you just use a lower temperature for a longer time well that scares the hell out of me and I would never do that to my scope

Dont use the bake on, use the "C " series, its air dry. Just remember, most likely it will void your warranty
Shouldn't hurt the warranty with "C" Just cover the dials if you have dial up turrets. And don't get it on the glass....lol

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_104433.jpg
    IMG_20200721_104433.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 181
How will this effect the tolerances on your scope rings?
My guess is it will require a lot of lapping and what if the application of the cerakot is uneven.
As it stands with a factory scope tubes the are very true.
Will the scope tube be true after even a small difference in uneven application.
IMHO I would not cerakot..
Let us know how it works out. This is something worth knowing about.

KG goes on a lot thinner than cerakote due to its single part application. I've used KG on 1911 and never had to do any lapping before putting them back together.
I have a few of my scopes coated and didn't have to lap them after coating them. Cerakote is a different process and just goes on tremendously thicker compared to KG.
Just offering another option.

I have an awesome cerakote applicator named hilland arms in Thomaston, Georgia. He's done 5 of my rifles. He does scopes as well. I highly recommend. If you want to ask for advice to do it on your own he's extremely helpful there, as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.