Cerakote or Bead Blast for Final Finish - New Build

Full Curl

Smith is getting close on finishing my 270wsm build. Final decision I need to make is to get all the exposed stainless metal bead blasted to match or Cerakote it. This is just going to be a normal carry hunting rifle so its not going to see much for more extreme mountain/coastal conditions. Right now I'm leaning towards Cerakoting it.

Which finish do some of you much more experienced folks recommend bead blasting or Cerakote and why?

If I go with Cerakote, what solid color of theirs would resemble the more normal non-metallic matte stainless look? I have no way to view actual color samples other than online photos.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I prefer soda blasting, it has a different finish than bead blasting.
I don't like cerakote, it gets in places it shouldn't and I don't like shiny rifles. I have several that are shiny, I tape them up to reduce the glare. All of my own customs are soda blasted, I like the satin look.
Bead blasting is a good look also, just a bit duller than soda.

Cheers.

My Smith does bead blasting with stainless then covers with a matte finished clear coat. Looks nice and provides a layer of protection to the metal.

Glass bead blasting on stainless is a really nice finish. All depends on what you like and how much use. If you are using a lot in weather conditions I suggest a Cercoate finish. If it is done right you will love it.
I have bead blasted stainless barrels for 6 years and still look like new.
Cerakote seems to last forever!
I personally love a DEEP Blued finish on a barrel that when you look at it, you can fall into into it. Those that have or had barrels know what I am talking about. I personally would not take those firearms into the field. Too beautiful. That Age of firearms is fading away.
Now we have Cerakote and stainless barrels with synthetic stocks for hunting.
Nothing wrong with that. We just purchased a few stocks from McMillan and have a bunch of Krieger SS barrels. You can make any firearm look GREAT just depends on your style.

Thanks for the replies! I've never seen an in-person example of a bead or soda blasted SS hunting rifle. From a Google search they seem to look very similar to the stock finish on a factory Remington 700 SS which I think looks very nice.

I did get my Cerakote color samples in the mail yesterday and some of them have a metallic component that does has a certain level of "shine" but others are complete matte. I have not had a chance to really look at them in full natural daylight yet but hope to do that this weekend and will compare them to the stock finish on a factory Remington 700 SS. At first inspection, I think the complete matte finish colors look pretty nice.

If bead blast provides more of a matte finish than soda, I think I would prefer bead blast but it's hard to know for sure without seeing 2 examples side by side in person. This finish is just going on a normal carry hunting rifle that will see "normal" field conditions and nothing too crazy extreme.

I have both bead blasted and Cerakote. I usually Cerakote my hunting rifles, and bead blast/satin my competition rifles, where barrel replacements are far more frequent…with shorter wait times and lower cost. I personally prefer the appearance and durability of a well applied Cerakote finish on my hunters.

Recent Posts