Final finish

Boozer

Does anyone know where I can buy the David tubbs final finish loaded ammunition for 30.06? Everywhere I look is out of stock and they won't let you back order. The bullets are available from midway, but unfortunately I don't have the equipment to reload, nor do I know anyone who reloads.

Does anyone know where I can buy the David tubbs final finish loaded ammunition for 30.06? Everywhere I look is out of stock and they won't let you back order. The bullets are available from midway, but unfortunately I don't have the equipment to reload, nor do I know anyone who reloads.

If you can't find the loaded ammo you can finish the bore by hand using a fine polishing compound.
I do it to every new Rem. barrel I get. They all will shoot 1/4" or better on a good day. It requires a lot of work but the results are rewarding.
...... LARRY

If you can't find the loaded ammo you can finish the bore by hand using a fine polishing compound.
I do it to every new Rem. barrel I get. They all will shoot 1/4" or better on a good day. It requires a lot of work but the results are rewarding.
...... LARRY

Just a little nervous about trying this... I've heard that you can screw up a barrel in short order if you don't know what you're doing (which I don't of course). If you know of any good how-to's or articles on this I'd be interested in reading them. Thanks for the advice.

At this point I'm going to assume that the ammo isn't in stock anywhere. Just trying to confirm that I'm not crazy, and wasn't missing anything. Thanks everyone.

Just a little nervous about trying this... I've heard that you can screw up a barrel in short order if you don't know what you're doing (which I don't of course). If you know of any good how-to's or articles on this I'd be interested in reading them. Thanks for the advice.

At this point I'm going to assume that the ammo isn't in stock anywhere. Just trying to confirm that I'm not crazy, and wasn't missing anything. Thanks everyone.

This is what I do on a FACTORY BARREL ONLY! Do not do anything to a custom barrel but clean and shoot.
(1) Clean barrel VERY GOOD.
(2) Get some type of paste polish ( II use a product called MAAS ) You can use Flitz in place of.
(3) Wrap appropriate size patch on a jag and apply paste the entire length of patch.
(4) Use a bore guide. Insert patch and gently start to swab bore with the paste the entire length of the bore. Do not run patch all the way out of the bore and drag back over the crown. If you run all the way out, remove the patch and start over. When you feel the paste beginning to drag in the bore, refresh with new patch and paste. You are going to see the paste turn black. After 3-4 applications, wipe the bore clean and repeat the process over and over. This is going to take you a long time so if you are impatient do not try this. Depending on how rough the bore is from the factory will determine how much time will be needed to polish out the bore. If you are fortunate enough to have access to a bore scope, do a before, during, and after inspection. You do not have to do this all in one day. I spread it out over 3-4 days. ( didn't I mention a long time?) When you are satisfied with the smoothed feeling it is time for a thorough cleaning. Now it is fun time (break in the barrel ) If you do this correctly you will see cleanup is a breeze. Treat the barrel like it is a custom from this moment forward. Your rifle should shoot and clean much like a custom barrel does. Not exactly but close. A lot of people do not believe the groups my .308's shoot but I can tell you 1/4" and below are not impossible with my method. I've done this with more than one and the results are the same every time. Of course you are going to have to shoot a quality load for it to shoot well. If nothing else, it will definitely clean up easy with MUCH LESS copper build up. If I see copper beginning to get bad I just polish again and it will go back to it's normal behavior.

I hope this helps you out. One last thing, when you polish the bore, polish the entire length. Don't short stroke it. You want to keep it as consistent as possible.
SARGESNIPER

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.