Caught one last night

Nice looking hog, wish we had them up here apart from all the damage they do.
Not only do they create an enormous amount of property damage, once you get them in your area you can't get rid of them. They are extremely prolific breeders, 2 to 3 times a year with as many as 12 piglets at a time. Ask anyone who hunts in Oklahoma or Texas. Just sayin.

I know this comment will raise some Boars hair. But catching , castration and releasing a boar I have no issue with that. I was in TX
Visiting family 3 years ago and I thought I would call the local Dept of Agriculture and see if they knew of any ranches that we're complaining of hogs tearing into their ground and maybe could barrow cousins 243 cal and hunt couple days.
AGR man said...Yes sir I have 4 ranchers that have issue but they Are 20 miles from here.
I said that's nothing for me to drive.
I wrote down names and address phone numbers of 3 of the 4 , 4th one he only had a phone number for me and said good luck. When he said that I thought to my self Hmmmm. I stopped in person and spoke 2 of the rancher owners and other was like the ranch manager. All wanted $100.00 a day and $100.00 for any hog over over 250 pounds.
I said to the first rancher " Dept AG man said you guys had a hog problem And needed some help getting rid of them ".
Rancher said " Our hog problem is not that bad "....... other 2 ranchers would not comment and only said what they charge.
I think they thought I was with TX dept of Agriculture and doing a under cover sting and would not talk but 2 minutes. I went to local gun store to window shop told him the story. He say sir welcome to TX. You know what he told me ......" those 3 ranchers you talked to use the Dept of Agriculture as free advertising to get people to hunt on their land for money ". It's a big joke around these parts. Tax paper money at work. The ranchers Complain to dept of AGR what hogs are doing to their Land always right in middle of deer season when they know the DNR man is to busy with deer season to come out and shoot the hogs with night vision. Dept of AGR and DNR then puts them on a computer list that's says oh these ranchers have a hog issues come on down and hunt. Then when you ask to hunt for 2 days with your friends gun they want to charge you after they publish all this crap about needing help with killing the hogs and then collect insurance crop damage for the hog damage. Every year I hear the same crap on TV , hunting magazines. How's this for a statement " ITS ALL HOG l WASH "
So for me I do not feel sorry for the rancher and I make it a point to tell every person in the state of TX this true story. When I get done they leave faster then if I told them I had the virus. MD

Last edited:
I know this comment will raise some Boars hair. But catching , castration and releasing a boar I have no issue with that. I was in TX
Visiting family 3 years ago and I thought I would call the local Dept of Agriculture and see if they knew of any ranches that we're complaining of hogs tearing into their ground and maybe could barrow cousins 243 cal and hunt couple days.
AGR man said...Yes sir I have 4 ranchers that have issue but they Are 20 miles from here.
I said that's nothing for me to drive.
I wrote down names and address phone numbers of 3 of the 4 , 4th one he only had a phone number for me and said good luck. When he said that I thought to my self Hmmmm. I stopped in person and spoke 2 of the rancher owners and other was like the ranch manager. All wanted $100.00 a day and $100.00 for any hog over over 250 pounds.
I said to the first rancher " Dept AG man said you guys had a hog problem And needed some help getting read of them ".
Rancher said " Our hog problem is not that bad "....... other 2 ranchers would not comment and only said what they charge.
I think they thought I was with TX dept of Agriculture and doing a under cover sting and would not talk but 2 minutes. I went to local gun store to window shop told him the story. He say sir welcome to TX. You know what he told me ......" those 3 ranchers you talked to use the Dept of Agriculture as free advertising to get people to hunt on their land for money ". It's a big joke around these parts. Tax paper money at work. The ranchers Complain to dept of AGR what hogs are doing to their Land always right in middle of deer season when they know the DNR man is to busy with deer season to come out and shoot the hogs with night vision. Dept of AGR and DNR then puts them on a computer list that's says oh these ranchers have a hog issues come on down and hunt. Then when you ask to hunt for 2 days with your friends gun they want to charge you after they publish all this crap about needing help with killing the hogs and then collect insurance crop damage for the hog damage. Every year I hear the same crap on TV , hunting magazines. How's this for a statement " ITS ALL HOG l WASH "
So for me I do not feel sorry for the rancher and I make it a point to tell every person in the state of TX this true story. When I get done they leave faster then if I told them I had the virus. MD

That is fascinating—thanks for passing this along. So did the gun store owner give any suggestions on how to actually help a rancher out that has a hog problem?

Yes the gun store owner did give some good advice on how to go about obtaining a place to hunt problem hogs in TX's. Gun store owner said what you do is fill up your cowboy boots with 100.00 bills ( 100.00 bills because you can carry more money safely and give them more money ). Gun owner said he does not know 1 rancher in TX's that will allow you to hunt hogs with out paying. Damage or no damage. He says it's a lie when rancher gets on TV , hunting magazine , Craig list **** government Agriculture websites , DNR websites and say come on down we have a hog problem we will let you hunt on us. That really means you can hunt on me just empty your cowboy boot that has those 100.00 bills in it. JUST MY experience 3 years ago. MD

Last edited:
Not only do they create an enormous amount of property damage, once you get them in your area you can't get rid of them. They are extremely prolific breeders, 2 to 3 times a year with as many as 12 piglets at a time. Ask anyone who hunts in Oklahoma or Texas. Just sayin.
it would make a problem here since are dictator governor won't let us shoot hogs.

Give it a little more time and they will be! I remember a few years ago someone said they were starting to show up there.
There are some spots in New York that have them,I don't know if there spreading much since a lot of are farms are disappearing. But they will come, they say Turkey were gone around here now theres a lot.

They can be very much a problem if left unchecked. The club I hunt (99,000 acres) is a deer hog hunting property that is primarily a dog hunting club ( southern pastime/tradition). We have a good population of them but nothing out of hand. I also have a 3,000 acre private track that I hunt and we have zero hogs on it. They can be eliminated where you want to but you have to keep after them. We don't want them on the small piece, but the club is not growing anything other than pine trees. We hunt em year round and places we hunt them hard they'll either leave or get caught. Hogs are the easiest thing to pattern and kill.

They can be very much a problem if left unchecked. The club I hunt (99,000 acres) is a deer hog hunting property that is primarily a dog hunting club ( southern pastime/tradition). We have a good population of them but nothing out of hand. I also have a 3,000 acre private track that I hunt and we have zero hogs on it. They can be eliminated where you want to but you have to keep after them. We don't want them on the small piece, but the club is not growing anything other than pine trees. We hunt em year round and places we hunt them hard they'll either leave or get caught. Hogs are the easiest thing to pattern and kill.

Here in New Zealand, pig hunting is done using dogs, with GPS collars and protective vests. The GPS sends the position of the dogs and where they've bailed a pig. You've got to be pretty fit (not me), because those tusks can make a mess of a dog and run to where the pig is bailed. Knife in most cases, with a short barrelled lever rifle in 357 Mag, 44/40 or 44 Mag as backup. Can be very exciting when the pig identifies the human as the greater threat, ignores the dogs and charges. Hunters get injured by tusk slash quite often - especially if it's a big fella. In Australia, they grow up to 250kg (600lbs) in the outback. These pigs eat whole cows that have died, due to starvation during a drought.

I was in Russia when it first opened to the West in the early 90's negotiating contracts for sporting arms and ammo. Each ammo plant has its own hunting lease. One night we were at the lodge after completing a big deal and I was talking with the manager of the hunting club about hunting кабана (Russian Boar). Bob Jensen asked how big the boars were. The manager said, "Oh, 500 kilos or so." I translated for Bob. He thought for a minute and said, "My God, that's a thousand pounds!" The manager, said, "Да, очень опасно!"
"Yes, very dangerous."
I was hunting primarily with a bow during that time, so I told the manager I wanted to come back and hunt the boars with bow and arrow. He stopped, looked at me and said, "Ты что, тупица? Эти свиньи едят людей!" (What are you, stupid? These pigs eat people!)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.