Case trimming machine which is the best for the $ ?

I didn't read all the responses, so this may already been stated.

Check out the Henderson Gen 2 Trimmer.
Once setup easy to switch between calibers, super fast (10 or so per minute) with +/- .001 precision.
I now trim every time. Super quick n easy
Yes it was answered but another recommendation for the Henderson. It does look to be the winner so far.

I bought my Henderson over a year ago and they are the best trimmer hands down. Once you create a "bolt" for your specific cartridge you are set and repeatability is perfect. I bought all the cutter heads and extra collet for 6 PPC so it can get expensive but its a "Buy once Cry once" investment. I believe it is still limited from .22 call thru .30 cal but that is 95% of what I trim. I have had so many trimmers over my 50 years of reloading and this is far the most precise and fastest. Trim, chamfer and debur all in one step…..no need for a multi station trimming center. When I need any other caliber I can't trim on the Henderson I go to my Giraud.
They go to 338 now. I have gotten from 224, 6mm, 257, 6.5, 7rem, 308, and 338. Once the bolt is set for the case you are good to go. I also use a 21st cry. neck thickness cutter set up too.
I trim my case first to length then cut the necks. Everything stay the same each time.
I have ran into two problems. New case not all being the same length. Top of the line brass too. Lengths by .006" or little more out of the box.
So I cut the brass I am using to all the same length and then cut for thickness. With stops in place can't miss. I believe.

I have used a bunch of case trimmers. Forster, RCBS, Hornady, WFT, etc. I settled on the L.E. Wilson due to its repeatability. I'm not a high-volume shooter so it works great for my needs. I have recently Frankensteined a Forster 3 in 1 trimmer head to it and it works fantastic. Big thank you to my friend Rob for making the conversion shaft for me. I do have a power adapter for it but didn't have it installed for the pictures. I personally don't like the collet lock feature of the Forster or Henderson trimmers. All in, I can do all my cartridges for less than half of the price of a Henderson or Giraud. You need separate case holders but the 3 in 1 trimmer head is caliber specific, not cartridge. I don't have to fiddle around with adjustments for 6.5 to 7 to 30 cal. Just swap the trimmer head.

signal-2023-02-12-102811.jpeg

signal-2023-02-12-102816.jpeg

signal-2023-02-12-102822.jpeg

signal-2023-02-12-102826.jpeg

I use RCBS Universal Case Prep Center 90370. While the trimming chuck is automatically trimming a piece of brass in the chuck, I'm running the one just trimmed around the de-burring tool, then chamfering, then primer hole cleaner finally thru the neck cleaning brush. By the time I've done that the next piece of brass is trimmed to precise length waiting in the trimming station ready for the next steps. I can do about 6 pieces of brass per minute from too long to ready to polish or reload. It's a great machine with plenty of stations to customize your specific process. I'm surprised no one else has recommended it.

I have the Franford Arsenal all in one that trims, deburs, cleans primer pockets, etc. For the money its probably the best piece of reloading gear I have it next to the digital powder scale.

I have used a bunch of case trimmers. Forster, RCBS, Hornady, WFT, etc. I settled on the L.E. Wilson due to its repeatability. I'm not a high-volume shooter so it works great for my needs. I have recently Frankensteined a Forster 3 in 1 trimmer head to it and it works fantastic. Big thank you to my friend Rob for making the conversion shaft for me. I do have a power adapter for it but didn't have it installed for the pictures. I personally don't like the collet lock feature of the Forster or Henderson trimmers. All in, I can do all my cartridges for less than half of the price of a Henderson or Giraud. You need separate case holders but the 3 in 1 trimmer head is caliber specific, not cartridge. I don't have to fiddle around with adjustments for 6.5 to 7 to 30 cal. Just swap the trimmer head.

View attachment 438182

View attachment 438183
View attachment 438184
View attachment 438185
I would be curious as to the dimensions on the conversion shaft. I really do like this setup. I would like to know how you Frankensteid the Forester 3 in 1 head ? I just priced everything for the oddball calibers I have & a few others (5 shell holders). I'm looking at about $350.00 to my door. And I can do straight wall cartridges as well (375 Win). I would be curious to know how much the cost was to do the 3 in 1 trimmer heads ?

Last edited:
I would be curious as to the dimensions on the conversion shaft. I really do like this setup. I would like to know how you Frankensteid the Forester 3 in 1 head ? I just priced everything for the oddball calibers I have & a few others (5 shell holders). I'm looking at about $350.00 to my door. And I can do straight wall cartridges as well (375 Win). I would be curious to know how much the cost was to do the 3 in 1 trimmer heads ?

The shaft on the Forster trimmer is 0.4875 and the shaft on the LE Wilson is 0.4975 so I couldn't just use the Forster shaft in the Wilson trimmer. That would have been too easy, right? :rolleyes:

We started off with a piece of 0.7500" round stock. You could use 1" if you like. Just need enough to have a shoulder to stop the shaft. It's 2.75" long but could be shorter. I left enough room to insert cases in front of the trimmer as you can see in the 3rd pic. Rob turned the dia that rides inside the bushing down to fit. Then he turned down about 0.500 of the end to 0.4875 so that the trimmer head would fit over the end of it. Final step was to drill and tap it for a set screw for the handle or power adapter.

I don't know how easy it would be to fit an electric motor to it but a drill works fine.

The trimmer heads are $70-75 for each caliber. The blades are carbide so should last a long time. Also, I'm using the 50 BMG base for the additional length. It's an inch longer than the standard base.

Never used a motorized trimmer. Guess I'm old fashioned, I believe in doing precision work in a methodical manner. That's why I use the L.E. Wilson trimmer. I have a few, some stainless, some with the micro adjust function. I also have the neck turning version of the trimmer which was discontinued and doesn't have many case holders available. But works for me.

I'm a little late to the conversation but I have the FA and really like it.
I started with the lee in a drill years ago. It was slow and you still needed to chamfer inside and out.
I also have a Hornady manual trimmer. It's also slow.
I used a Worlds Cheapest Trimmet off eBay for several calibers for a few years, it was faster but still needed to chamfer.
I ended up getting a Giraud tri-way for 5.56. it's awesome. I have it mounted on a Harbor Freight grinder.. I use it and a FA trimmer for everything now. If I ever upgraded I would get a Henderson or Giraud

Good evening!
The Foster 3 in 1 Case Mouth Trimmer.
Has anyone seen the UTube on how to replace the blades and Pilot on the Foster 3 in 1 Case Mouth Trimmer?
I saw a person that has step by step on setting up a new pilot size and adjusting the cutting blade properly, but can't relocate where I put the link.
Foster states "NOTICE Pilots are not interchangeable between calibers due to the difficulty of setting the carbide cutters to the correct position, which must be done at the factory."
It is just a set screw, pilot, another set screw and a blade. Changing the pilot and resetting the blade can save a small fortune.
That way they get you to purchase a trimmer for each caliber. $70 to $100 for each 3 in 1 Trimmer.
All you really need to do is change the Pilot and adjust the Blade. We have (8) Trimmers right no so just change out is quick. But now we bought another (6) Pilots so can have trimmers for (14) calibers by changing the Pilot and resetting the blade.
If anyone saw the video please send u a link. I will continue to go through our saver websites to see if I can find it. The Pilots can be bought for $4.50 so a big savings from paying $70 to $100 each.

Thanks
Len & Jill

Thanks
Len & Jill