Which chronograph is the best bang for the buck with $200.00 budget ?

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by TG-5150, Nov 8, 2018.

1. TG-5150

TG-5150 Well-Known Member

I have 200 bucks to spend on a chronograph and would like to know some more exerianced opinions. I have never owned one of my own.

2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Rhett Crider and sedancowboy like this.
  3. TG-5150

Thanks for the info. I will check it out

4. TG-5150

I was looking into Caldwell's stuff because of the app ability. They have decent enough reviews. And i would be able to shoot arrows and bolts through them.

5. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

For Bows, even pellet rifles, I have ProChrono. Used to use it for rifles until the Magnetspeed became available. Prochrono has a large forgiving area between the sensors and good sun screens. Pretty durable too. I have used it for over 10 years.
    Caldwell makes good stuff too, haven't used their chronos.
    There is just really one chronograph, I would recommend staying away from - that is the Shooting Chrony. They are just hard to navigate the menu and have a small window for the object being tested to pass through. They have been around a long time though, but there is just better stuff out there.
    https://www.amazon.com/Competition-...41707401&sr=1-5&keywords=chronograph+shooting

6. TG-5150

Awesome. Thanks.

7. rdsewell

rdsewell Well-Known Member

I've used a ProChrono for years, always has been pretty close, I verify my drop data afterwards. I adjust up or down from there if need to.

8. sea2summit

sea2summit Member

9. Rhett Crider

Rhett Crider Well-Known Member

I have both and prefer the sporter on heavy recoil rifles. The V3 tends to move up the barrel and get loose very easily. I even tried it w/ the red tapered spacers hoping that would help but it didn't stop the problem. V3 is probably fine on minimal taper barrels but mine are all #4 or 3B and it loosens up because it slides down the taper from recoil and gets loose. Just design and weight I guess. I'm sure that someone here at LRH has come up w/ a way to stop this though. I'll be watching for a reply :). Radiator hose clamp doesn't seem like the way to go o_O.

Barrelnut likes this.
  10. TG-5150

I decided on the Pro Chrono. And will use the extra cash for other reloading toys. Thanks for the suggestions