Case trimmer

I have the Frankford Arsenal all in one case prep machine, I like it but it indexes off the shoulder which if your cases get shoulder bumped back a little inconsistent the rest of the operation is inconsistent....I've got 2 forester originals set up with the 3 in one trim, debur, chamfer part for 6.5 and .22 and love them....I think there faster than the Frankford and they're less noisy, have a consistent inside and outside chamfer/debur.

With some of these tools you can easily get out of control on chamfer/deburing.

Dillon power trimmer. When it's set up, all you do is put a case in the shell holder, cycle the ram and if you have case ejector, just put in another case. That easy. Down side is you have to buy a die for every caliber. I have been trying to get Dillon to make generic dies to trim and not resize, but they refuse and say it won't work. Theyre wrong! I trim my .204 and .17
Rem in my .223 die. I trim .243 Win in my .308 die. 25-06, .270 Win in my 30-06 and so on. It's kind of pricey, but I can literally trim a hundred cases in minutes.

I have used 3 , no, 4 trimmers.
Little crow is hands down the best I have ever used but you need a trimmer for each cartridge you own.
then we have the one you want to up grade from, the Forster. I love mine but they are not for everyone.
the RCBS with power or without power.. I &*%^$#&^%$@! hate these trimmers. nothing but trouble for me.
now we get to the underdog, the Lee quick trim dies and cutters. these are the surprisingly easy to use and very good. all you have to do is have a quick trim die for each of your calibers and know how to adjust the cutter. after that it is a really great high volume trimmer like the little crow.

Check out "The Worlds Fastest Trimmer" (or is it " The Worlds Finest Trimmer"?). That's what I use and highly recommend. Very similar to the new FA trimmer shown above
Little Crow the worlds finest trimmer

I bought a Little Crow WFT2 awhile back, it's the one with interchangeable inserts. I generally HATE trimming cases, I'd rank it right up there next to neck turning, but I can buzz through a few hundred rounds of brass in no time with this thing and they all come out the same length every time.

I have a few cartridges they don't offer inserts for so I order blanks, give it to my gunsmith, and he makes me one with the same reamer he chambered my gun with.

I have the Frankford Arsenal all in one case prep machine. I like it but it indexes off the shoulder which if your cases get shoulder bumped back a little inconsistent, the rest of the operation is inconsistent...<SNIPPED STUFF>
@IHFarmer07 you make a great point. This is my biggest "gripe" with the high speed trimmers. Fast? Yes! Convenient? Absolutely! And if all the brass is yours, fired only in your rifle, then I think they work great. But...when you start picking up brass, sizing various brass, preparing factory fresh brass, pretty soon you have over-all 'trimmed' lengths all over the place. If you are just doing a 'friction' fit (no crimp) then probably no harm or foul as things will be 'close enough' for your purposes.
<SNIPPED STUFF> Now we get to the underdog, the Lee quick trim dies and cutters. These are the surprisingly easy to use and very good. <SNIPPED MORE STUFF>
Totally agree @freddiej ! If you want every case to be EXACTLY the same LENGTH, the Lee trim system is the way to go. You can chuck the case holder in an electric drill and make pretty quick progress. Not Frankford Arsenal or Little Crow fast, but you are getting more CONSISTENCY, and the over-all trimmed lengths for all your brass will match exactly. If you crimp, this is priceless.
Video to see how it works:

It costs $10 for the "cutter & lock stud" (you just buy it once; works for all cases), and then $6 for the "case length gauge & shell holder" for each cartridge you are trimming. Cheap. Easy. Effective. And very consistent as it 'indexes' off the base of the case, NOT THE SHOULDER.
Pics of 'system':
1581025081726.png

Last edited:
@IHFarmer07 you make a great point. This is my biggest "gripe" with the high speed trimmers. Fast? Yes! Convenient? Absolutely! And if all the brass is yours, fired only in your rifle, then I think they work great. But...when you start picking up brass, sizing various brass, preparing factory fresh brass, pretty soon you have over-all 'trimmed' lengths all over the place. If you are just doing a 'friction' fit (no crimp) then probably no harm or foul as things will be 'close enough' for your purposes.

Totally agree @freddiej ! If you want every case to be EXACTLY the same LENGTH, the Lee trim system is the way to go. You can chuck the case holder in an electric drill and make pretty quick progress. Not Frankford Arsenal or Little Crow fast, but you are getting more CONSISTENCY, and the over-all trimmed lengths for all your brass will match exactly. If you crimp, this is priceless.

It costs $10 for the "cutter & lock stud" (you just buy it once; works for all cases), and then $6 for the "case length gauge & shell holder" for each cartridge you are trimming. Cheap. Easy. Effective. And very consistent as it 'indexes' off the base of the case, NOT THE SHOULDER.
Pics of 'system':
View attachment 174172

BDEC0B6F-4814-4958-8FE3-9C9C29727705.jpeg

Pics of 'system':
View attachment 174176

The 6.5prc and Valkyrie cartridges I reload for for precision stuff, lee don't make those for.....really thought of getting the lee set up for my 30-06. My uncle uses the lee cutter for his 7mm rem mag.

Plus with the forester original setup, the reason I bought those is that there's so many attachments for them. I was going to get a Wilson trimmer but the forester can do more than the Wilson. Also a BIG advantage to the manual trimmers is if the power goes out.....then what, always thinking ahead 😉.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.