case trimmer

patrick021

looking for a case trimmer what kind should i get and should it be manual or powered by a drill?

Depends what you want. I have a cheaper Lyman hand cranked version. Adjustments are fine, once set I get same down to the thou. Saved money there and spent it elsewhere where I get a better bang for my buck.

I use the old Lee trimmers with the stem and cutter and the shell holder chucked in a drill. Time consuming but it works.

If I only am loading a little bit of shells then I use a Lee hand trimmer, they are easy to use and are available for any popular cartridge for a good price. If I am loading for over 20+ rounds though, I use a Forster case trimmer. It is very fast and smooth to run.

I like Lee Case trimmers. When you get them check to make sure they cut the exact length you want. Get one of the hex shaft shell holder so you can use a drill or power screwdriver to power the operation. The hand turn ones I had to wear a glove. When working new cases lay the length cutter set up, inside outside champher tool and flash hole reamer out neat. Put case in shell holder, cut to length, champher inside and outside of neck, next uniform and champher the flash hole all in one case setup operation. Good Luck and Happy Loading.

If I am taking .005" or less from brass, I use my Wilson trimmer with micrometer thimble. If taking larger cuts, I remove the cutter and insert a Sinclair cutter that has a octagon shaft to which I attach my cordless screwdriver. Best of both worlds.

I have an older Lyman universal (1980) it still is accurate but, I also have the lee quick trim that not only trims but deburrs and chamfer at the same. And I also use the Lee trimmer that I attach to a cordless drill.
The lyman,, set it up, trim a bunch then deburr and chamfer I have found that it works great for pistol (9mm, 357, 44 spl and mag)
The Lee quick trim,, accurate chamfers and deburrs at the same time. Con, the cases need to be lubed so that the o ring can get a hold of them without breaking, I use this system when I FL size my 7mm rm
The Lee hand system,, I put the shell holder in a cordless drill set to slow, put in a case, trim it, deburr and chamfer. I use this when I neck size my 7mm rm.
The fastest is the quick trim, then the Lee hand trimmer, then the Lyman.
They are all accurate and I think it is up to personal preferance

I use a Wilson trimmer and was easier getting consistent lengths then with the Forster. The downside is you need a shell holder. There are good points like easy to set the trim length by recording what a caliper reading says from the end. You can usually find them cheap on EBay. Matt

Wilson is the way to go, especially If looking for a square cut. Easy to adjust and very accurate lengths.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.