Case split 30-06

VTbluegrass

upload_2019-11-29_16-4-16.jpeg

So my Kimber Classic 30-06 did this today. Hornady precision factory ammo. I have shot a box of Winchester Deer Season XP with no problems but this did make me examine brass. Despite good groupings for factory ammo in a factory rifle .75ish all fired brass seems to be slightly out of round. Unfired rounds rolls across a table smoothly but fired cases roll out of round. The Winchester Ammo didn't split nor did the first 4 rounds of Hornady. But fired cases seem to roll unevenly across a flat surface.

Is the suspect ammo or rifle. Other than casting the chamber what would you use to determine the culprit?

I was at a crap public range when this happened. I was eating so much exhaust from the "operator" with a braked AR next to me I barely noticed this case had issues except for some unburned powder hit my nose. We

Did you buy the gun new (i.e., you are the first owner) or did you buy it used? If new, I would send it back with some fired brass for the factory to make it right.

If you are the 2nd (or 3rd) owner, it could be a factory defect or it could be a bulged chamber from an over-pressure load from a previous owner.

I saw this before with a S&W 586 revolver. One chamber was bulged from an over pressure load.

First owner. Factory ammo through it. Winchester Deer Season XP, Nosler Accubond factory ammo, and Hornady precision have been in it. Never looked at it closely before because accuracy was decent and extraction was never an issue.
Visiting in-laws this afternoon and tomorrow. Gonna measure some brass when I get home tomorrow.

In an effort to make the primer pockets hold up/last longer at the higher pressure that is more common now many cartridge manufactures have changed the alloy of the brass and it does what it was/is supposed to do. But when you fire form to a different or loose chamber many times the necks or the case body will split.

Good chambers and sizing will help this problem but sometimes softer brass is the least trouble.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.