Case Prep Question

You may think this is the simplest thing in the world but in 45 years of reloading I've never seen this before. I have 100, once fired Lapua cases that I'm getting ready to load for my grandson's 7mm-08. They have been in my sonic cleaner for an hour and my vibratory cleaner for over three hours. Problem is, I can't get the carbon off the necks! I can knock it down a bit with steel wool but it still leaves the stains. Anybody have a cleaner or cleaning method that will get it off? Help!
I reload for 7mm-08's as well. I've always had issues with getting the neck/shoulder junction clean. Not on any other calibers, just the 7/08.
The method that has worked the best for me is: load the tumbler/vibrater with fresh walnut media,(no brass yet) turn it on, add 2-3 ounces of brasso pouring it around the running tumbler/vibrater. Let it run 5 minutes or so, so that the media and brasso gets well mixed and the brasso will get dry. Now add your brass and let it run 3-4 hours. they will come out like polished diamonds.

You may think this is the simplest thing in the world but in 45 years of reloading I've never seen this before. I have 100, once fired Lapua cases that I'm getting ready to load for my grandson's 7mm-08. They have been in my sonic cleaner for an hour and my vibratory cleaner for over three hours. Problem is, I can't get the carbon off the necks! I can knock it down a bit with steel wool but it still leaves the stains. Anybody have a cleaner or cleaning method that will get it off? Help!
Try WD 40 and a rag. Spray them let em sit for 2-3 minutes and give em wipe turning them in the rag.

And brake cleaner...but use it outdoors when spraying!

And brake cleaner...but use it outdoors when spraying!
Now those are a couple of things I didn't try, Skipglo. I tried Kroil, mineral spirits, naphtha, and goof off to no avail. I'll try both but brake cleaner might be the key.....especially if combined with the steel wool others suggested!

Thanks again to everyone for all the great suggestions!

Now those are a couple of things I didn't try, Skipglo. I tried Kroil, mineral spirits, naphtha, and goof off to no avail. I'll try both but brake cleaner might be the key.....especially if combined with the steel wool others suggested!

Thanks again to everyone for all the great suggestions!
Once again...spray in open air ..used to clean and remove very similar compositions , carbon, graphite etc. Has worked well in the past for me and the 000 steel wool will definitely assist
Good luck

Hello, I'm wet tumbling my Brass in a Lyman Cyclone wet tumbler drum. Tumbling media is 5 lbs. of steel pins, I use this exact formula and run time about 2 hrs. 1/2 teaspoon. of dove dish washing liquid and 1/8 teaspoon of Lemishine powder.
Add enough water to at least cover your media.Then add the lemishine and stir until it is mixed up well. Now add your brass then add your Dove dishwashing liquid. fill the drum up with water while stirring in your soap. Close your drum Place it on your motor and 2 hrs. later your brass is done. If it will remove annealing lines it will clean anything that is on your brass. I've tried dry tumbling but at least for me "WET TUMBLING" is the only way to get extremely clean and shiny brass.
All this info is not new . It's been posted on the internet for years !

="Blackhawk, post: 1664361, member: 105459"]Hello, I'm wet tumbling my Brass in a Lyman Cyclone wet tumbler drum. Tumbling media is 5 lbs. of steel pins, I use this exact formula and run time about 2 hrs. 1/2 teaspoon. of dove dish washing liquid and 1/8 teaspoon of Lemishine powder.
Add enough water to at least cover your media.Then add the lemishine and stir until it is mixed up well. Now add your brass then add your Dove dishwashing liquid. fill the drum up with water while stirring in your soap. Close your drum Place it on your motor and 2 hrs. later your brass is done. If it will remove annealing lines it will clean anything that is on your brass. I've tried dry tumbling but at least for me "WET TUMBLING" is the only way to get extremely clean and shiny brass.
All this info is not new . It's been posted on the internet for years !

I have been cleaning brass by wet Tumbling for 2-3 years . This brass was sitting in a bin for at least 2 years or more as you can see came out beautiful.

Attachments

• DSCN0311.jpg
    DSCN0311.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0308.jpg
    DSCN0308.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • DSCN0312.jpg
    DSCN0312.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0309.jpg
    DSCN0309.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
OH Six Pack, those case necks look HORRIBLE. I would be embarassed to be seen at a range with them! And I think any self-respecting rifle would refuse to let you chamber them.

Better toss 'em out. Or send 'em to me. I'll "recycle" them for you.

Eric B.

Semi-success! I'm including a pic of the "treated cloth" that I mentioned. This package is over 20 years old and it still worked fairly well. It removed about 90% of the carbon with a good dose of "elbow grease". Another couple of hours in the walnut shell and it's over 95%. Not perfect but I'll have to settle for now. The primer pockets and inside the cases sure don't look new so I guess I'll be looking into the SS tumbler medium. Next question.....can I use it in my existing vibratory cleaner or do I need one specific for SS?

If I have necks that are really difficult to clean, even after being in the vibrating cleaner, I use a product called "Nevr-dull". I will chuck the brass up in the drill press lightly by hand, just enough to hold them and not damage the brass, and run the NevrDull over the case necks. I don't know if this is or is not recommended, however I have never had any problems with my brass after using the product. I don't go crazy with the stuff, just enough to clean the necks up, and then use a clean rag while the brass is still in the chuck to remove any excess NevrDull.

D
Dok, this sounds like a winner! Especially for someone with a sonic cleaner but no SS wet tumbler! On my way this morning to get vinegar and distiller water. Thanks for the article!

As a follow up report, I used Dok's method and results were as follows:

Outside of cases - like new
Primer pockets - not new but close - as pictured in his article
Inside cases - removed about half the carbon - very acceptable but not "new"
Necks - removed about 98-99% of the carbon that started this thread. I think the residual could be removed with some steel wool or another hour in the vibratory cleaner.

Dok, hats off to you, Buddy! You saved me about $200 for a SS tumbler!

Last edited:
I sometimes use my boretech eliminator on necks when they are bad , it cleans them with very little effort.I use vinager and water in my Ultrasonic. Good luck :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.