Case Prep Question

I don't polish my brass, but if you want to clean brass, use Bar Keepers Friend. You can find it next to the Comet cleanser at Walmart. It is slightly acidic, and cleans stainless steel, brass, copper, and aluminum. works great. If you have a stainless steel sink, your wife will love you for it. As a side note, I did clean my brass with WD-40 once, and it caused a dud primer at a critical time when I had an elk in my sights. The only time in 45 years of reloading that has happened.

D

Dok, this sounds like a winner! Especially for someone with a sonic cleaner but no SS wet tumbler! On my way this morning to get vinegar and distiller water. Thanks for the article!

As a follow up report, I used Dok's method and results were as follows:

Outside of cases - like new
Primer pockets - not new but close - as pictured in his article
Inside cases - removed about half the carbon - very acceptable but not "new"
Necks - removed about 98-99% of the carbon that started this thread. I think the residual could be removed with some steel wool or another hour in the vibratory cleaner.

Dok, hats off to you, Buddy! You saved me about $200 for a SS tumbler!
It is all good.

Hello, I'm wet tumbling my Brass in a Lyman Cyclone wet tumbler drum. Tumbling media is 5 lbs. of steel pins, I use this exact formula and run time about 2 hrs. 1/2 teaspoon. of dove dish washing liquid and 1/8 teaspoon of Lemishine powder.
Add enough water to at least cover your media.Then add the lemishine and stir until it is mixed up well. Now add your brass then add your Dove dishwashing liquid. fill the drum up with water while stirring in your soap. Close your drum Place it on your motor and 2 hrs. later your brass is done. If it will remove annealing lines it will clean anything that is on your brass. I've tried dry tumbling but at least for me "WET TUMBLING" is the only way to get extremely clean and shiny brass.
All this info is not new . It's been posted on the internet for years !
Typo error "Should Read Dawn Dishwashing Liquid" Am I bad?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.