Question: case prep after pulling bullets???

I don't see any value in resizing.
Tension amounts to neck springback from the expansion of bullet seating. When he pulled bullets the necks simply sprung back. And when he re-seats, the springback will grip bullets as it already had been.

What he'll notice is that re-seating force is lower, but actual bullet grip is unchanged. He could do this 100 times and nothing will change about it, because there is no further sizing in this.

Been there and done that, and it will change in both inside neck diameter measured by pin guages and in seating force.

I'm in the camp that says you probably should re-size the necks and here's why. A couple of years ago I bought a case of Federal VitalShock 180gr 300 WSM "seconds" for less than it would have cost me to buy the brass. I figured I'd shoot them, prep the brass and do some load development.

For whatever reason they were "hot" for my rifle so I only shot one box. I then pulled the bullets from a second box using a kinetic hammer so I could measure the powder. I planned to cut the powder back a couple of grains, re-seat the bullets and shoot them. When I re-seated the bullets there was so little neck tension that I could move the bullets in and out with only my fingers. I handled them gently and shot them single shot style anyway. I accomplished what I intended to do but they grouped 4-5" at 100 yards. The first box I shot grouped 2-3" at 100 yards.

I did not measure the case mouths but in my case it appears that the brass did not spring back 100%.

Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.