Case head separation.

Grizzhunt

So I just got my 300 prc built a few weeks ago and have been shooting factory hornady match 225s. I wasn't getting the accuracy I wanted so I got a die and started doing some work up. I found a load my gun really liked at 79 grains of retumbo I set oal to the same as the factory stuff. Shot a 3 shot at .20 on center. However when I loaded it a second time testing the speed I got a case head separation. The brass has only been good for 2 firings. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues like this. Maybe a bad batch of brass?

8387EF19-9BE2-4304-9EAC-A9A72642AD12.jpeg

Also, not a bad idea to run a go and nogo gauge if you have access to them.
Also, looks like 79gr is a hot load according to hornady. I am ignorant to the load data, just pointing out what you probably already know

Measurements from fired case to setback after sizing?
I don't have a gauge to check it. I've always just set my full length dies and ran with it. I've never had any issues till now. I did try to measure it, it's basically the same. It's hard to see 10 thousandths just eye ballin it. I'm going to get a gauge this afternoon, and possibly a new batch of brass if they have it. If not then just some more boxes of the match ammo.

Also, not a bad idea to run a go and nogo gauge if you have access to them.
Also, looks like 79gr is a hot load according to hornady. I am ignorant to the load data, just pointing out what you probably already know
At the time I don't have access to a go nogo. Yes it's .1 over max from hornadys data. I have since backed it off trying to find a safer pressure load. The stuff from the factory is up in pressure as well. Most of it leaves a pretty good ejector mark and a flat primer. Now my new load is 77.5 of retumbo.

The only time I had happen I was working on a 22-250 load up around 3300 FPS but I had reloaded the brass six times and it wasn't but a few pieces
This was every other shot. That one being the worst of it. Most of the rest you could just see the crack starting. I only shot 5 or 6. The worst of it was I had loaded 20 to go test the ES and SD. So I had to pull them all and throw the brass away.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts