Cartridge poll for curiosity

What would be your caliber choice for a long range entry level long range competition rifle?
308 Winchester
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 PRC
7mm PRC
7mm SAUM
Or some other chambering.
308 out to 600. Past that, for a entry level I think a 300WM with a brake makes more sense.

What is your definition of "long range" and what type of competition?

I use the old NRA defs of LR targets in 800-1,000 yards, but I also use a modified 1/4 mile version, 1-440yds SR, 441-880yds MR, 881-1320yds LR, and > 1,320yds ELR.

We used the 308 for a long time in Palma, 800, 900, 1,000yds, so it does work, but the 6.5CM is also a good choice for availability, cheaper to load, plentiful brass, SRP available, good BC's, etc, etc. But again, depends on your needs.
200-1000 yds NRL Hunter matches

Depending on the type of competition, PRS or NRL Hunter, it would be different calibers. For PRS I'd choose a 6mm and it'd probably be the Dasher, I'm currently in the process of building one. For NRL Hunter I'd probably go with a 6.5 Creedmoor, but may also consider the 7mm SAUM for the windier days. If ELR comps then that's a totally different story and would jump into the 338 and above.

200-1000 yds NRL Hunter matches
Then "I" would lean toward a 7mm-08, 260 or AI, or the 6.5CM, but the various 6mm's in fast twist work well.
Since you may be shooting 60 or 70 up to 160 rounds over the full 2-3 day course with most targets in the 200-700 yard range and wish to keep your accurate barrel life longer, personally, I would avoid the heavier powder cartridges with shorter barrel life. As a "beginner", I would recommend the KISS principle, and use a cartridge that allows for a lot of practice and has good BC. Depending on your desire to reach various levels of shooting/comp skill.

Depending on the type of competition, PRS or NRL Hunter, it would be different calibers. For PRS I'd choose a 6mm and it'd probably be the Dasher, I'm currently in the process of building one. For NRL Hunter I'd probably go with a 6.5 Creedmoor, but may also consider the 7mm SAUM for the windier days. If ELR comps then that's a totally different story and would jump into the 338 and above.
Just a general poll for info for one rifle to shoot NRL hunter and say a PRS or two. ELR takes a big Louden Boomer
Then "I" would lean toward a 7mm-08, 260 or AI, or the 6.5CM, but the various 6mm's in fast twist work well.
Since you may be shooting 60 or 70 up to 160 rounds over the full 2-3 day course with most targets in the 200-700 yard range and wish to keep your accurate barrel life longer, personally, I would avoid the heavier powder cartridges with shorter barrel life. As a "beginner", I would recommend the KISS principle, and use a cartridge that allows for a lot of practice and has good BC. Depending on your desire to reach various levels of shooting/comp skill.
that is the absolute best recommendation that has been posted so far.

Send me a pic of your set up. I just shot NRL Hunter this past weekend. The High Deseret Hunter. 25 mph winds on Sunday tough match did terrible
I plan to keep the binos on the tripod and shoot with bipod or bags but if I need to shoot off the tripod I have a full length arca on the bottom of the stock.

Attachments

• IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2590.jpg
    IMG_2590.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 28
Are you shooting with a friend that can help you? All of the RO's I've been around will give you all the help you want and help you find targets. I've shoot 4 matches all in skills and use a 6 mm creed with 115 gr Berger VLD
I'm going solo. I'm sure I will need plenty of help from the RO's so that is good to know. I'll be shooting 147 eldm's at 2825 out of the 260 so would make power factor. With my suppressor added to the rifle it's just over 14lbs so I could use it in the open heavy if all goes well and I want to do this for real. I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have but any advice, pointers, suggestions are very welcome!

I'm going solo. I'm sure I will need plenty of help from the RO's so that is good to know. I'll be shooting 147 eldm's at 2825 out of the 260 so would make power factor. With my suppressor added to the rifle it's just over 14lbs so I could use it in the open heavy if all goes well and I want to do this for real. I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have but any advice, pointers, suggestions are very welcome!
Don't worry about hijacking's the thread I started it

You don't have to worry about power factor or weight shooting skills. My opinion is do two or three skills to get the hang of it

Recent Posts