Winter Curiosity

liltank

So I have seen American Sniper (Awesome flick), and of course the bad guy uses an AK-74 sniper system which uses the 7.62x54. It got me thinking if it is a better cartridge than a .308. When you look at the casing, there is a size difference and a considerable taper. We took some measurements and H2O tests. The 7.62x54 holds 66.1grns or H2Owhere the .308 (My RWS brass) holds 56.7 grains of H2O. So there is a 10 grain difference (Rounding up for you guys that like to be particular :p.... ok 9grns) in water weight. So what would be the performance difference with a modern action, barrel, using .308 bullets in a .308 barrel (instead of .310 or .311), with matching dies? How much better would it be if you were to Ackley that sucker and knock the taper out, sharpen the shoulder, and use up a little bit of that long neck it has in comparison to the .308? Hence the title ;D!Winter kills me, too much thinking time!!!!

Tank

Any cartridge can be accurate if loaded correctly and in the proper rifle.

The AK is the EVIL rifle and most are not very accurate. If you take one and go completely through it, It can be very accurate but you will spend large amounts of money and end up with a different rifle than the AK was designed for (One that will shoot in any condition).

You can build a better rifle that shoots the same round a lot cheaper and chances are it will out shoot the AK. If you want a cartridge that will out perform the 308 there are a lot to chose from.
For example= there is a company now making a AR 10 type rifle that shoots the 30/06 round.
And some are shooting the 300 WSM and like cartridges.

Power is not an issue, but if you want an AK then by all means buy one.

Just my opinion.

PS: I develop the same illness during the winter and building something is the only cure I have found.

J E CUSTOM

The Russian sniper - rifle isn't an AK (has only the gass driven system in common), or has very little to do with it. It's called Dragunov and was especially designed for snipers. It's prepaired for using various kinds of scopes and other optical equipment. You will even find different Dragunovs in different calibres for multiple purposes. One rare version is using the 9,3x64 Brenneke. I haven't seen the movie, but have heard it should be great. A friend of mine told me that they were successfully using a standard Dragunov (7,62x54R, it's a rimmed case) with 4x scope out to 1900m ... that's just not possible.

The Russian sniper - rifle isn't an AK (has only the gass driven system in common), or has very little to do with it. It's called Dragunov and was especially designed for snipers. It's prepaired for using various kinds of scopes and other optical equipment. You will even find different Dragunovs in different calibres for multiple purposes. One rare version is using the 9,3x64 Brenneke. I haven't seen the movie, but have heard it should be great. A friend of mine told me that they were successfully using a standard Dragunov (7,62x54R, it's a rimmed case) with 4x scope out to 1900m ... that's just not possible.

Yeah, just realized it was the dragonov this morning when I woke up. Not sure what I was thinking when I typed AK-74.

Not trying to be a know it all, however the rifle in question is probably an Iraqi Al-Kadesih (haven't seen the movie). Their version of the SVD, it's similar but not the same. I'm sure there are some Dragunovs floating around in Iraq, but not the norm. I have shot several of each and can tell you they are very capable rifles out to some great ranges, even with the limited power optics most are fielded with.

Tank,
Again I'm no expert but have two Mosin Nagant rifles that fire the 7.62x54R cartridge and they are fun cheap rifles to shoot with ballistics similar to a .308/mild-ish 30-06. However I don't think I would choose one over an '06. I have wondered what one necked up to something along the lines of a .35 or .375 cal could do. But as far as improving the case, only one way to find out. Especially if it fired the more prevalent .308 cal bullets as you stated.

Not trying to be a know it all, however the rifle in question is probably an Iraqi Al-Kadesih (haven't seen the movie). Their version of the SVD, it's similar but not the same. I'm sure there are some Dragunovs floating around in Iraq, but not the norm. I have shot several of each and can tell you they are very capable rifles out to some great ranges, even with the limited power optics most are fielded with.

Tank,
Again I'm no expert but have two Mosin Nagant rifles that fire the 7.62x54R cartridge and they are fun cheap rifles to shoot with ballistics similar to a .308/mild-ish 30-06. However I don't think I would choose one over an '06. I have wondered what one necked up to something along the lines of a .35 or .375 cal could do. But as far as improving the case, only one way to find out. Especially if it fired the more prevalent .308 cal bullets as you stated.
Yep, makes one wonder. Wish I had expendable funds to play with questions like this. :cool:

So, why did this thread get cut in half overnight? About 1/2 the posts are gone from where it was last night when I commented...

The North Vietnamese sniper "Cobra" that met his demise at the hands of Carlos Hathcock used a Mosin-Nagant and his platform. Apparently the Cobra knew his stuff and the Mosin Nagant was up to the task. Unfortunately for him he "Chose Poorly" when going toe to toe with Carlos.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.