Carbon Wrapped Hunting Rifle

texagvet23

I'm looking to put together a high quality hunting rifle. I want it to be a carbon wrapped barrel in either 6.5x284 Norma or 6.5 RPM . I have narrowed it down to either a Christensen Arms Ridgeline (at cost) or a Remington 700 built on a trued and blueprinted action with a Proof barrel and Bell and Carlson stock. Which of these would you recommend and why? Thanks in advance.

I can vouch for the Proof Barrel/B&C Stock combination - but my action is a Cooper.
I think the Remington route will give you more flexible custom options, and some would argue the Proof barrel is superior.

I can vouch for the Proof Barrel/B&C Stock combination - but my action is a Cooper.
I think the Remington route will give you more flexible custom options, and some would argue the Proof barrel is superior.
That's what my gut tells me. I just like the extras the Christensen gives that would cost significantly more to have a gunsmith do, i.e. Fluted bolt and matching muzzle brake.

I would probably steer clear of the Christensen. Seem to be hit and miss lately.

I have an older one on a 300 RUM back when they used Rem actions, and it pressures up really fast, below book mins.
I also have a Carbon Six in 308 Win on a Rem action. A Proof in 300 Win on a Lone Peak.

Of the three the Proof shoots the best, but it is a custom action.

With high pressure rounds with minimal body taper I would not want to rely on a standard Remington extractor. Consider that when hunting if you fail to extract your hunt may be over or you could miss the chance of a lifetime. I will put my vote in for a Bighorn Action with a Proof barrel.

If you want carbon wrapped I would buy the parts and have a good smith assemble it for you. Or try someone like alamo precision, for a semi-custom.

I have a christensen that has been a great rifle, but lots of guys seem to be having issues lately, even if many are self induced.

If you want carbon wrapped I would buy the parts and have a good smith assemble it for you. Or try someone like alamo precision, for a semi-custom.

I have a christensen that has been a great rifle, but lots of guys seem to be having issues lately, even if many are self induced.
That's what I think I will do. Already got a quote from someone that will guarantee 1/2 MOA, so I think that will be my best bet for what I want.

Look at Fierce Carbon rifles. .5 guarantee with target. Sako copy action.

Attachments

• 2C0207F5-0F80-4601-B725-3B934C94F279.jpeg
    2C0207F5-0F80-4601-B725-3B934C94F279.jpeg
    942.9 KB · Views: 122
I have a Christensen Ridgeline in .280 AI. Shoots factory ammo well under MOA. If your hand loading I would definitely avoid CA Tolerances are so tight that it requires me a lot of time to develop loads that are acceptable. Quality production build but can be hit or miss. Since I have a few rifles that are ready to go, I will fiddle with this one. If it wasn't a .280 AI probably be on chopping block. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts