Carbon rings in 6.5mm creedmoor.

the hunter

I have got a carbon ring in my bergara 6.5cm, I have ordered some bore tech carbon cleaner and it is on two week wait. I need to know what other stuff I can use to git it out, I've herd that seafoam can git it out. Would that work untill I can git the bore tech?

I use SeaFoam as a regular "step" in cleaning my 6.5-284Norma. This is after I do bore foam and ammonia for the powder residue and any copper left. Dry patch out.

You might try a 1"x2" maroon norton pad, split in half, wrapped around an undersized bore brush. Give it 12 strokes or so for the first 3" of the barrel. Flush with brake cleaner. It works wonders.

Maroon. Check out Nathan Foster. He has some very interesting views on things, but I've found truth in them. It will work on a carbon ring. Maroon is a medium grade.

I have used a split maroon pad several times with excellent results. It takes an abrasive to remove a true carbon ring.

Automatic Transmission Fluid is a powerful detergent that is not harmful to most things even plastics, its excellent for cleaning basically anything that has tough burned on grease or fouling like valve covers or carbon fouling in guns.
Just let it sit and it softens and lifts stains and grease off of metal, plastic ,and dark fabric and can bring old baking sheets back to life (just clean them really well), it does have red die so will stain light fabric and hilariously light hair.

ATF works great for preventing the buildup of really tough fouling especially in the bolt carrier of the AR-15 I use it to clean the bolt and I leave a very light film on it.
Fouling just wipes off with a rag even when I am lazy and don't clean the gun right away.
Buy a quart of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for like $10 and for the cost and the volume compared to other gun cleaners its a lifetime supply for basically nothing.

upload_2019-2-5_17-35-15.jpeg
Wrap a patch around a bore brush and put some of this on it and give it a good scrubbing, 25 back and forth strokes. Just like any abrasive cleaner use a bore guide and get all of it out before you put anything else in bore and bolt lugs

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.