A Million Dollar Opportunity!! Carbon Rings

I want everyone to understand that a bronze brush creates its own black residue. You can have a perfectly clean, unfired barrel, and get black to gray wet patches after a bronze brush scrub.

Are you talking about that awful smelling stuff that comes in the small, olive drab metal cans with the metal screw cap? I used to use that a lifetime ago, seemed to work good even when we shot the older corrosive ammunition.
Yes, that is the stuff. It worked well, I just ordered a can of it to give it a try against the modern stuff. I have been using LSA on my modern sporting rifles and it seems to work better than the modern stuff, especially the synthetic oils. Shipping says will be here yet this week. 😊

I never have used any abrasive substance in my firearms since day one, and day one was a long time ago. Unless I am lapping.

For carbon, I use Bore Tech C4 and I also use Slip 2000 Carbon Killer. IMO, 2 of the best dedicated products on the market.

For maintenance on our Junior program rifles I designed this reamer to remove any carbon build up on that transition area into the freebore area. The only sharpened section of the reamer is from the front of the shoulder on. It is made from carbide.

To use it just run it, spin it till it bottoms out on the shoulder. Spin a few times .

Last month I even used it to chase the freebore on a barrel my buddy bought. For some reason the chamber was cut with 0.025 freebore length. We chased it with this which had 0.062 freebore length.

BBB 223 CRR Carbon Ring Remover.

20230417_130658.jpg
20230417_130707.jpg
20230417_130713.jpg
20230417_130742.jpg

I machined the bore guide from a 1-1/2 Delrin, the shoulder bottoms out on the back of the AR15 upper. Found a U joint online to to couple the reamer holder.

Last edited:
a rifle that is shot alot can have issues with carbon rings, hunting rifle will never have this issue, unless hunting prarie dogs
Reigning from a place that has a PD or 2 and coyote shooter, I nor anyone I am aware of have any problem with carbon rings. Normal cleaning is quite effective.

I've spent all weekend getting carbon rings out of two rifles that had less than 50 rounds ran through them since the last carbon ring removal. One has 460 rounds through it and the other has 290. Can someone/anyone come up with a simple way to make this easy? I know that there are many of you who are 10X smarter than I am although I've been at this for over thirty years. I've gone through hundreds of patch of Bore Tech, used Iosso, CLR and finally made progress with Flitz. There has to be a better way! Here's the a before and after of the one with 460 rounds total and less than 50 rounds since its last carbon ring removal. Please note that it's 30-378 that's never been pushed hard. Any good advice from the great mins out there?
Stick an earplug in the muzzle, fill up to the chamber up with boretech carbon remover and let it soak for around 7 days. It will brush out easily after that.

For maintenance on our Junior program rifles I designed this reamer to remove any carbon build up on that transition area into the freebore area. The only sharpened section of the reamer is in front of the shoulder. It is made from carbide.

To use it just run it, spin it till it bottoms out on the shoulder. Spin a few times .

Last month I even used it to chase the freebore on a barrel my buddy bought. For some reason the chamber was cut with 0.025 freebore length. We chased it with thus which had 0.062 freebore length.

BBB 223 CRR Carbing Ring Remover.

View attachment 456981View attachment 456982View attachment 456983View attachment 456984

I machined the bore guide from a 1-1/2 Delrin, the shoulder bottoms out on the back of the AR15 upper. Found a U joint online to to couple the reamer holder.
Brilliant!

My son in law is neglectful in cleaning. He just patches his bore and calls it good. One day we were shooting and he blew his primer and the case head swelled up. Stiff bolt. I was working with a grandkid 4 feet away. He shoots another and same thing. He mentions the bolt was stiff on closing on this box of factory ammo, in his off the shelf Remington rifle.
I took it home and borescoped it. Carbon ring all the way around and burnished by the bullet.
The hypothesis is he had ammo that had longer brass and was forcing them into battery effectively pinching that neck down and hitting enough pressure to blow the head of that brass out to fill the bolt face recess.
So, it can be a nasty situation in random rifles/ammo.
He still doesn't clean his guns unfortunately.

Common knowledge to some:

The carbon ring acts like a "crimp" on the bullet at some point. Then again, ignorance is Bliss!

Op, the key is to clean the carbon ring out on a regular basis to avoid the nightmare you have just gone through. The fix, determine what size your neck is, and use a pistol or rifle brush very close to that size if not slightly larger. The brush does the work, and when soaking with free all or other penetrating oil, the carbon will loosen up over a couple of days...followed by the brush.

When the bore and chamber are maintained on a regular basis, half a dozen turns with the appropriate size brush will get the carbon ring out or reduce it to a minimum dia.

Examine a Heat Index chart and determine how hot your powder burns, which may help you understand why the Cooked on Carbon is so hard. At some point, you can not get the carbon out without using 600-800 grit Silicone Carbide paste from Brownells, applied with a brush and drill.

Last edited: