A Million Dollar Opportunity!! Carbon Rings

Window

I've spent all weekend getting carbon rings out of two rifles that had less than 50 rounds ran through them since the last carbon ring removal. One has 460 rounds through it and the other has 290. Can someone/anyone come up with a simple way to make this easy? I know that there are many of you who are 10X smarter than I am although I've been at this for over thirty years. I've gone through hundreds of patch of Bore Tech, used Iosso, CLR and finally made progress with Flitz. There has to be a better way! Here's the a before and after of the one with 460 rounds total and less than 50 rounds since its last carbon ring removal. Please note that it's 30-378 that's never been pushed hard. Any good advice from the great mins out there?

Attachments

• E36AD2F5-7E40-4B2F-821E-E00C49960EA9.png
    E36AD2F5-7E40-4B2F-821E-E00C49960EA9.png
    448.6 KB · Views: 530
  • 65D4830E-9BF1-40AA-BA95-8D0F8A59E66A.png
    65D4830E-9BF1-40AA-BA95-8D0F8A59E66A.png
    796.5 KB · Views: 525
I bought one of those cheap gun cleaning kits that cost like $20…it has a 4 piece, piece of crap rod, which is all I cared about.

I take the last piece and put it in a drill - the rod is maybe a foot long long or so. In that female end I put an oversized (one caliber larger) nylon brush and wrap a cleaning patch around it and put iosso on it, then run the drill bit for about 5-8 seconds and check the carbon ring with a bore scope. Repeat as needed, which for me is usually a few runs like that. It is really pretty easy.

Last edited:
If I'm after that carbon ring..I will run a full lenght rod thru the muzzle and out the receiver...put on a thick covered JB bore paste and pull the brush back to the neck and scrub the heck out of it..with a drill turning the rod......'it will shine'....
..and...usually with that carbon in neck there is carbon down from the throat....that takes time...

Last edited:
Power drill, cleaning rod, nylon brush, cleaning solvent of choice & carbon rings go bye bye. Need to be methodical that the cleaning rod doesn't make contact with inside of your action. Otherwise, a few short spins of the drill should resolve the issue.

I've spent all weekend getting carbon rings out of two rifles that had less than 50 rounds ran through them since the last carbon ring removal. One has 460 rounds through it and the other has 290. Can someone/anyone come up with a simple way to make this easy? I know that there are many of you who are 10X smarter than I am although I've been at this for over thirty years. I've gone through hundreds of patch of Bore Tech, used Iosso, CLR and finally made progress with Flitz. There has to be a better way! Here's the a before and after of the one with 460 rounds total and less than 50 rounds since its last carbon ring removal. Please note that it's 30-378 that's never been pushed hard. Any good advice from the great mins out there?
I soak a bore mop in sea foam over night and it comes right out with a little brushing

a simple brush wrapped with a patch soaked with J&B and oil turn it chk then turn again until clean, will remove the carbon ring easily, Thorroclean from Bullet Central is a new cleaner made from Isso in liquid form is a great cleaner, has oil and Isso all blended in a bottle, will last a long time and get the barrel clean

I bought one of those cheap gun cleaning kits that cost like $20…it has a 4 piece, piece of crap rod, which is all I cared about.

I take the last piece and put it in a drill - the rod is maybe a foot long long or so. In that female end I put an oversized (one caliber larger) nylon brush and wrap a cleaning patch around it and put iosso on it, then run the drill bit for about 5-8 seconds and check the carbon ring with a bore scope. Repeat as needed, which for me is usually a few runs like that. It is really pretty easy.
That's exactly what I do.

By the thread title-- I thought you had designed ultralight carbon fiber scope rings-- that's a "carbon ring million dollar opportunity"
I thought the same thing. I made a set about a year ago with my printer but you couldn't put pressure on them you need to properly mount the rings. Maybe somebody will come up with one in the future but if you think scope rings are expensive now just imagine if they were carbon.