Carbon Fiber Tripod - Recommend me a setup

I have a Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod with an RRS ball head, I switched from Manfrotto's QD plate to RRS's ARCA / Picatinny adapter, much nicer. I recommend getting the whole setup from RRS S.O.A.R. they Really have the Right Stuff for precision rifle shooting, super hight quality!

I use Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod with RRS ballhead and Hog Saddle. I'm very happy with this set-up.
+1 for Manfrotto carbon fiber. In 10 years mine has been hunting in 6 states, and with me every trip to the range. If it disappeared today I'd buy another just like it, no question. To be fair, I'm not shooting from it as much as it sounds like you want to, but it's lightweight, full height and as solid as one could ask for. For glassing, the handgrip ball head is worth as much as the tripod.
86CB2523-8CBA-4DBB-9FCB-5189D6E858DD.jpeg

Get yourself a bog pod death grip carbon fiber.. an never look back.. best tripod for the money an it fits any gun or crossbow you have no attachments needed

mercerbear, you can get arca plates and clamps off amazon super cheap. RRS stuff is top notch but way expensive unless you need the qd clamp.... which is bad@$$. The plates are nothing special. I just buy cheap plates and find the rifles natural balance point and attach them to the stock. I run a chassis mostly but my traditional stock rifles have a plate too. I also use the plates to attach to my camera, spotting scope, and made a bino plate. See my pictures posted earlier.
Ok, I went back and looked closely at your pictures and see what you did there.

I will probably end up with a full RRS kit. I like to get things Made in America, where possible.

I like your setups.

As was mentioned previously, the plate basically needs to be as close to the balance point as possible. A little extra length on the plate helps in this regard. Generally this will be just forward of the action lug but might vary with a heavy barreled rifle.
I buy actual RRS plates but not because I think they are better. I started with RRS plates and just want to match the width exactly on all my guns so I don't have to adjust the ballhead. I have found some of the rails and plates I tried from Amazon have slightly different widths and it is annoying to have to adjust bi-pods or the head to fit each gun.
I bought my last RRS set up from Thermal Optics Plus because they offered free shipping and they were so small that they didn't charge sales tax. Mile High Shooting has a good RRS selection and their shipping is far cheaper than going direct through RRS web site.

Attachments

• 20201230_100145.jpg
    20201230_100145.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
I've been using the Bog DeathGrip Carbon Fiber Tripod for all my hunting trips. Love it, it's been my favorite so far, but I haven't handled more than 6 or 7 tripods overall, so not a super diverse test group.

Attachments

• 20201202_141846.jpg
    20201202_141846.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
As was mentioned previously, the plate basically needs to be as close to the balance point as possible. A little extra length on the plate helps in this regard. Generally this will be just forward of the action lug but might vary with a heavy barreled rifle.
I buy actual RRS plates but not because I think they are better. I started with RRS plates and just want to match the width exactly on all my guns so I don't have to adjust the ballhead. I have found some of the rails and plates I tried from Amazon have slightly different widths and it is annoying to have to adjust bi-pods or the head to fit each gun.
I bought my last RRS set up from Thermal Optics Plus because they offered free shipping and they were so small that they didn't charge sales tax. Mile High Shooting has a good RRS selection and their shipping is far cheaper than going direct through RRS web site.
Yeah, that makes sense on the QD lock with different brand plates.

Can you screw an Arca plate into pretty much any CF hunting Stock?
I would say you need to ask your builder. GAP told me they wouldn't do it on the Manners Ultra Classic. I asked Savage whether their Ultralight could take the t-nuts for a plate and they declined to answer.

I would say you need to ask your builder. GAP told me they wouldn't do it on the Manners Ultra Classic. I asked Savage whether their Ultralight could take the t-nuts for a plate and they declined to answer.
Ok, an ARCA Rail just forward of the front action screw is probably going to become a requirement on my build.

This is good to know.

Recent Posts