Can you neck Down once fired brass?

It certainly is possible to do so. It might require more force. The brass might show signs of work hardening sooner with greater neck tension and the necks could split earlier with a few more firings. It might not be a big issue, depending on how much you are necking down. Annealing would certainly solve any issues.

It certainly is possible to do so. It might require more force. The brass might show signs of work hardening sooner with greater neck tension and the necks could split earlier with a few more firings. It might not be a big issue, depending on how much you are necking down. Annealing would certainly solve any issues.

+1

Depending on how much you are necking down.

J E CUSTOM

It depends on how far you are going to be necking it down as to the difficulty. I neck down 7mm Rem mag once fired to 264 Win mag all the time with no problems.

I've full length sized once fired .300 Win Mag cases with a full length .30-.338 die to make the .30-.338 Keele (long neck) version. Sets the shoulder back about 1/6th inch making the neck longer. Works fine in my full length sizing dies without any problems.

I sure have done up a bunch of 25-06 from 30-06 that I managed to get form folks at the range. I knew for certain it was once fired as I was sitting next them them as they opened up the new factory rounds.

I have also done a bunch from Lake City (LC), and Western Cartridge Company (WCC) as well.

Do any of y'all have any experience necking down 284 brass to 6mm? What dies are needed and what's the process?

I am not necking down once fired 284 brass (noting the original topic of this thead)....but virgin brass. I use imperial sizing wax. I made an intermediary forming die because I was crushing some of the neck/shoulders when I tried to use a 6mm-284 FL die. Took an old .264 barrel turning it into a die body then ran the 6mm-284 chamber reamer into it. Did some light sanding/polishing. That die made a huge difference in the process.

If you choose to go with 6.5-284 Lapua, which is IMO the best brass, you won't need that extra die, just use your FL die being sure to lightly wax the outside of the necks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.