Fired once brass

Kentucky

I have been reloading some once fired Remington brass. I have taken every measurement possible and can't figure this out. When I chamber a reloaded round I have a hard time closeimg the bolt. It feals like the volt just won't go in far enough, but there aren't any land marks on the round when I extract the round and the round slides smooth when chambering. Any ideas?

Check the outside of the case neck for a sharp/square edge, especially if it was a heavy crimp originally or if you trimmed the case. (Fired once in your rifle or someone elses? Collet dies or FL?). I've seen em drag or feed bad due to bad/no chamfer on this outside shoulder and heavy crimps on the original load make it rougher. Resizing smooths it, but not enough. My first thoughts anyway... Sometimes there's a small ring of carbon in the chamber and if your round is in spec , it might still be deeper than the ring of carbon in the chamber due to shorter brass being normal, the sharp edge makes this even more apparent. Cap dog may have a point there too, color the shoulder of a round with black marker, chamber and rotate and look for scuffs.

Last edited:
Check the seating die. Make sure it is backed out so the case mouth does not contact the crimping shoulder in the die, if the die is equipped to crimp. If it does it will shove the angle of the shoulder out and expand the case body a few thousands right where the shoulder and body meet on the case. I have seen this happen and the shell will slide right up in the chamber but will not go in till the bolt can cam down into battery. Good Luck and Safe.

Have you chambered a unloaded but sized piece of brass? This could narrow down the cause.

Could be as simple as how you sized the brass. You didn't mention what die or method you used to make the reloads.

If you are using a full length sizing die this could be the cause:

A FL die reduces body taper and if setup deep enough it will also move the shoulder back so sized brass easily fits the chamber. The proper way to use a FL die is to start with some space between the shell holder and the end of the die. Size a case wipe off and check the fit. Move die lower by 1/4 turn or so and repeat. In the beginning the first few attempts will require a firm bolt closure. As the die is progressively lowered there will be a point where the brass's body taper is reduced lengthening the brass but the shoulder has not been sized back. At this adjustment the bolt will be very difficult to close. When the die is lowered further the shoulder will be bumped and the shortened brass will fit easily. I believe you need to lower the die a bit more and size the brass again.

I am certain with enough information the posters here can help solve your issue.

Sounds like the shoulder hasn't been bumped back far enough.

More than likely, this is the cause, but as AZShooter said, break it down and first check the brass only without a bullet. If it is tight, then you are on to a sizing issue.

Let us know what you find out.

Rubbing on the case mouth after stretching, bumping against the shoulder, fat spot in front of the belt, etc.

Put some ink on it, and see where it rubs off when the bolt is hard closing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts