can i shoot berger out of my WSM?

I thought the gunslick got rid of copper and powder residue? Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I have used gunslick a lot and it works well if you let it soak for a couple of hours. Most of the time I will let the rifle sit overnight and if the rifle is coppered real heavy it takes a couple of cleanings. Throw that nylon brush in the garbage they are junk. Get a bronze brush just do not pull it back through the barrel once the brush leaves the muzzle take it off pull the cleaning rod out and put it back on then run it back through.

When I clean a rifle I start with a brush and do this a few times then I run a few patches with GM top Engine cleaner through the bore those two steps will get rid of your carbon. After that I will run a couple of patches with kroil oil to get rid of any GM cleaner and a couple dry patches to get the kroil out so the gunslick or other copper cleaner I decide to use that day can get to the copper.

Have you tried shooting the 175 grainers? I load for a couple of rifles in this caliber and they LOVE them. They also perform well.

Have you tried shooting the 175 grainers? I load for a couple of rifles in this caliber and they LOVE them. They also perform well.

I haven't tried them but im very happy with the 185's and this is just my opinion but I wouldn't want to be any lighter than 185 for an elk gun. I may possibly go to the 210's for next year. But I got a bull and two cows to shoot with this gun this season so we will see how these bullets preform

I shoot a 300WSM Browning A Bolt Boss with 190 bergers 63grns of h414 velosity is 2775 out of a 23'' it punches the came hole at 100yrds. and 2.5 at 600. I am by no means a pro but i am very happy with this caliber and gun

Most of the 1000 yard shooters clean their rifles very well. Usually every time they shoot them. I use bronze brushes with Montana 50 BMG. It is very strong and use in a well ventilated area. I use Iosso with a big patch wrapped aroundan old worn out brush to get rid of carbon. Mainly the first 10 to 12 inches of barrel I will short stroke this area hard and just short stroke the rest of the way. Then i clean out again with a few wet patches. The bore scope says it works really good. A lot of the guys are saying that the new Tactical advantage from wipe out works great on both carbon and copper. They also say it works very quick. Most of the guys are using H 4350 or 4007 SSC with the 210 Berger VLD. It is really accurate in the WSM and dominating the 1000 yard benchrest with the guys that are shooting the 300 WSM. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.